• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

I know the D3 and D4 have much better ISO performance in low light situations, but I got to thinking. I'm speculating a lot here, but can't help but think that a big chunk of the advantage in low light is also due to the increased color depth capabilities that the D3 and D4 have.

With that on the table do any of you have anything that you've found? I'm curious as to if some actual users here think I'm close ooor way off the mark in what I just said.
SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14921 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm not so sure it is color depth responsible for low light performance. I think it is the other way round.

The Df and the D4 share the same sensor and are both EXPEED 3. If you can believe the test, the Df has better noise control over ISO 6400 over the D4. Both have EXPEED 3 and same sensor , but a tweak was done for the Df, so software is the difference.

The D4 and D4s have the same CMOS sensor, but the D4s has EXPEED 4. The D4s is also 1 stop better in low light. Again, the real difference is software and not sensor.

The new D810 has a new sensor and is using EXPEED 4 over the D800/800e. And it also has 1 stop better in low light. At least, we will see when the real world testing comes into play.

Between the D4s and the D810, the only common changes is EXPEED 4, as both came away with 1 stop better light performance.

I am open to being corrected, but I think the speed enhancements are from software more than the sensor itself. I think color depth improves with the software changes associated with evaluating sensor speed (ISO). Between the Df and D4, that is the only thing different between them in this regard. I maybe off, but that is how I see these differences.

PS: I have a D4, and I have focused and got some pretty good shots in pretty low light. It has focused and metered on a subject I couldn't see in the view finder.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

"I'm not so sure it is color depth responsible for low light performance. I think it is the other way round."

Dennis, I might of not been clear enough. I'm not saying the CD is the major player in low light ISO performance, but I do believe that all those shades help define how that low light image is developed into a frame worth using from say a D3 or D4 as opposed to something more grainy from a D2X or a D2Xs body.

"The Df and the D4 share the same sensor and are both EXPEED 3. If you can believe the test, the Df has better noise control over ISO 6400 over the D4. Both have EXPEED 3 and same sensor , but a tweak was done for the Df, so software is the difference."

Aah ok!!

"The D4 and D4s have the same CMOS sensor, but the D4s has EXPEED 4. The D4s is also 1 stop better in low light. Again, the real difference is software and not sensor."

This is good to know

"PS: I have a D4, and I have focused and got some pretty good shots in pretty low light. It has focused and metered on a subject I couldn't see in the view finder."

Yeah I noticed that you had posted about the one you own a while back. How far away was subject plane?

Also thanks for the info!!

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#4 BrianS

BrianS

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Photography, camera collecting, "Hobbyist-level" camera repair

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

The Df clocks data out of the sensor at a slower rate than does the D4- this has been attributed to the lower noise figure. Faster clocks generate more noise. 

A lot of work has gone into improving the noise of CMOS sensors in the last 10 years.

Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5. And maybe 100 or so other Nikkor lenses. Maybe 60 of those are on Nikon cameras right now.

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Forget the D2 series for low light. I ran a little test a few years back, and my D1x actually does a better job above ISO 400 than the D2x. And the D1x is pretty noisy above 400.

Double check me on this but from what I understand, the D3s is a lot better in low light than the D3.

Edited by justshootit, 21 July 2014 - 09:35 PM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Forget the D2 series for low light.

Hi justshootit,

I have posted a couple of lowlight shots from one of my D2Xs bodies done in a gymnasium that had no windows. They are probably far from D3/D4 image quality, but have certainly been surprised by how the captures had turned out wity no flash unit being used.

Yeah the group shot is crooked. I was in a hurry...lol

Attached File  IMG_29666153043913.jpeg   168.27KB   0 downloads
Attached File  IMG_4926961982836.jpeg   134.32KB   0 downloads

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14921 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

"I'm not so sure it is color depth responsible for low light performance. I think it is the other way round."

Dennis, I might of not been clear enough. I'm not saying the CD is the major player in low light ISO performance, but I do believe that all those shades help define how that low light image is developed into a frame worth using from say a D3 or D4 as opposed to something more grainy from a D2X or a D2Xs body.

I think that the CD benefits from larger micro lenses. I'm at the office, so I can't show a sample. However, I have shot at 12,800 with the D4, and it comes out really well. I did another shot at 12,800 with a +1 exposure comp and got better color and less noise. I was wondering if I could do the same with the D200, but haven't had the motivation to try yet.

Attached File  _DS47510-19.jpg   346.91KB   0 downloads

This is was taken at 12,800, but when I did the +1, it did not work out. But, -1/3 and it reduced the noise and gave me better color. The colors still showed the type of light I was shooting in, but noise levels was very little. I left the color for this one as it was, but I can warm it up and not lose any color depth.

I really believe that the D4 could have had a firmware upgrade and get the tweaks made to the Df, and get a bunch of the same functionality in the D4s, but then Nikon won't make money keeping the high end upgraded. Why would Nikon want to be nice and help the folks that spent $6k on a camera body any who?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#8 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

D700 ISO 25,500

Attached File  _DSC2996_01.JPG   349.89KB   0 downloads

Attached File  _DSC2984_01.JPG   289.46KB   0 downloads

and at 6400.

Attached File  _DSC2985_01.JPG   221.36KB   0 downloads

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#9 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4247 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

That's the difference - with the D2x you can get away with ISO-1600.  With the D610 and it's ilk you can get away with ISO-16,000.  Big difference.

Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#10 BrianS

BrianS

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

One thing I discovered- "Lossless compressed NEF" is "visually lossless"..., it uses a fixed look-up table for the compression coefficients, does not record all of the levels.  Once you start pulling details and playing with curves, having uncompressed files gives you back the full image recorded by the sensor. 

Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5. And maybe 100 or so other Nikkor lenses. Maybe 60 of those are on Nikon cameras right now.

#11 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3332 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

My experience began with D1, then D2x, skipped D3, D700 and 7000, now D4. I was surprised of the gap between the D2x and the D700/D7000. You can get decent images in much lower light. Cameras in the D4, D800, and Df family will probably exceed your color requirements.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20700 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

I see Gettysburg hasn't changed much over the years... is that Robert E Lee in the first picture! :P

[sorry, off topic, but I couldn't resist... and ... I really like Gettysburg, haven't been in years, love to go back]

Signature_Line_V4

#13 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23274 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Sensors have come a long way. My D700 is good but my D605 is even better at 24mp vs 12mp. Now my tiny V1 at ISO 6400(H1) is usable and it is a one inch CMOS Aptina sensor so imagine how the D4s is at ISO 6400 probably like shooting ISO 200 back in the day.

Jim

These are ISO 6400(H1) from the V1, I would love to spend the day or night with the Df or D4s! :D

Attached Files

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#14 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:44 PM

I see Gettysburg hasn't changed much over the years... is that Robert E Lee in the first picture! :P

[sorry, off topic, but I couldn't resist... and ... I really like Gettysburg, haven't been in years, love to go back]

nope he's a civilian, half period and half modern dress which works for him and several other people I know in town.

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#15 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything that΄s fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:18 AM

Colour depth is - in my books - just a consequence of the improved Expeed processing but has no relation to AF Performance.

Cheers

Virgil

#16 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

One thing I discovered- "Lossless compressed NEF" is "visually lossless"..., it uses a fixed look-up table for the compression coefficients, does not record all of the levels.  Once you start pulling details and playing with curves, having uncompressed files gives you back the full image recorded by the sensor. 

Brian

I think you are describing "Compressed" NEF.  I believe "Lossless compressed" is truely loseless; when it's uncompressed you get exactly the uncompressed file back.  Losseless compressed is similar to a ZIP file frequently used with computers to reduce file size.  When you unzip a ZIP file, you get back exactly what you zipped up.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#17 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14921 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

Well... back to color depth, first it would depend on what bit you set. While, anything can be changed in raw, something's are in stone at capture. If you shoot 8 bit (JPG), your not going to get what a 12 bit file can get. And the same with 14 bit. If you limit the sensor to 12 bit, where, you limit color depth. So, you would need to shoot at 14bit if you want the full color depth.

I also believe software plays in this. As I pointed out, Nikon has done some tweaking and is able to interpret and "correct" sensor information, which includes noise. The EXP3 VS EXP4. As we know, the Df has some other type of software change, or change in hardware to gain over the D4 using the same components.

Now lossless VS uncompressed. Well, I don't know as there is all sorts of misinformation floating around the net. We know straight compression will lose data. Nikon say, as Gary pointed out, that lossless is reversible, like a zip file. Now, here would be the question here. I have shot both lossless and uncompressed and the only difference I see is the file size on my computer; 19mg/39mg respectively.

Now, can one see the difference? I don't think so, not visually anyway. Given that; one shoots raw at 14 bit, uses the largest color space at capture, then processes it.

Does adobe have that algorithm from Nikon? In playing with CNX-D, I got better results from LR, even in the new D810. So, I would have to think the adobe has that algorithm.

A monitor can't display that information. Isn't that one reason that HDR is now a process, forget that it can be pushed into the unreal. HDR is a means to compress contrasts details that normally can't be seen, on a monitor or in a print.

Even with the advances with printers, it still can reproduce 14bit of data.

Things are truly better, but, it maybe a long time before we can see all the colors of the wind.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#18 BrianS

BrianS

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

https://home.comcast...Compression.htm

I found an explanation on-line that described Nikon's Compressed-NEF scheme. "Visually Lossless", but it looks like the 16384 possible RAW values are represented using 3073 values. On some cameras, I've found that some SD cards are better than others for introducing system noise. 

#19 erie patsellis

erie patsellis

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

From my own experience with a D1x, a D2hs, a D2x and a D3, I prefer the look of the D1x files, from the point of most film like reproduction, up to around 1600, past that the only image really worth anything quickly becomes the D3, by a long shot. At base ISO, my Kodak SLR/n still is top of the heap. So much so that for 99% of my product work it's still the first choice! quirks and all. For straight out of the camera jugs, the Fuji S2 and S5 steal the show. No one best at everything that I've found yet.

Erie
Nikon F, 5 or so F2 (several flavors), 3-F3/MD4, F4, Nikon D1X, D2X, Nikon D2Hs, D3, Fuji S2, Kodak SLR/N, 3 IR and full spectrum D100's, more glass than a person should own, 2-RB67/lotsa glass, Hassy 500EL 50/80/150/250, Megavision S3 back, Sinar 4x5 F, 4x5/8x10 P, 16x20, 20x24 cameras, Betterlight scanback, more LF lenses than I can keep track of, Broncolor Lighting

#20 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4247 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:21 AM

The D1x is definitely an underrated camera. I've gotten great results with it at 3200.

DSC_7202-X3.jpg
Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users