15 replies to this topic

#1 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

did some hi vs low ISO shots with my D2x just too see how bad the noise really is.

used my 80-200 2.8 set 200mm f 8.

top ISO 200 bottom ISO HI-2 (3200)

Attached Files

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#2 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19605 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

Not bad...Like these images. Thanks for posting for us to see.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#3 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

crops in the same order.

I noticed more noise in the reductions than I did in the original raw files.

and a bigger concern to me is the hi ISO shots  have noticeably less contrast and saturation.

still all in all much better than the inter webs would have you believe.

Attached Files

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#4 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8479 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

The first two, the one on the left is much sharper.  I assume that is the low ISO.  

Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#5 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

The first two, the one on the left is much sharper.  I assume that is the low ISO.  

yup

#6 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3331 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:04 AM

That's a great cam as long as there is decent light. I had 2 of them and loved them. Did you have the high ISO noise reduction filter on high? Try doing the ISO test with that filter on and off.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#7 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

That's a great cam as long as there is decent light. I had 2 of them and loved them. Did you have the high ISO noise reduction filter on high? Try doing the ISO test with that filter on and off.

set on hi I believe.

I'll run another test soon with it set off and normal.

I'll have to find a more interesting subject.. but that sign is right on the corner 1/2 block away so I can just step out the front door and shoot.

It is pretty much non changing other than cars, people and weather with a lot of detail for contrast so it is the lazy test subject LOL.

does beat pixtal counting eye charts.

#8 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything that΄s fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

Looks great on my calibrated 27" screen - no X was ever intended to be noise-free (or low in noise) going far beyond standard-ISO. However, I did shoot the D2X also at Hi-1 (equiv. ISO 1600) and results turned out better than expected. It´s (to me) the kind of noise you get with the X which is very different to other bodies - more pleasing to the eye and therefore no big deal for even the most critical viewers. You find the same characteristics of noise in the D3x shots which was the reason why i preferred the D3x over eg. the D800 / D600. However, all those Hi and Lo settings have to be considered as last resort, which you should use only in case you have to get a shot whose content is of such a great importance (thinking of eg. a historical event or thatlike) that the plain technical quality simply doesn´t matter much. Btw - set NR to low or off otherwise you get this plasticky / watercoloured look modern bodies produce and take care of sharpening settings (given you shoot JPEG´s). Set something in the middle if you´re going to shoot frequently ISO800 or above. You end up with a slightly unsharp picture in preview but noise is better hidden this way and doesn´t even show up as worse when sharpening is done in post (compared to high sharpening in-camera). 

Given I´d be still in DX (or going back to it one day) - I´d go back anytime to the D2´s, no matter which bodies are currently superior to them.

Cheers

Virgil

#9 Laney

Laney

Planet Guardian Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

I got rid of my D2x because i hated the noise from 400 up. 

I'd take a D3s over anything currently on sale now, but they're still stupid prices

#10 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Using a D700 for low light,, but still love the D2.

#11 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23255 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

To be honest my D600 is fairly noise free at 1600 ISO but I haven't really pushed it farther yet. I guess I need to give it a test run at hi ISO.

Jim

PS The D2x still looks good to me, nice work!

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#12 Jack

Jack

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scuba, reading

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

I just got the D2Xs yesterday, so learning about what it can and cannot do. So far, I'm happy with it, although I must admit, I haven't tried out the ISO limits on it yet. I wonder how it compares to my D300?

Another thing I'm wondering about is....why there are no firmware updates for this model? Seems strange to me, considering it's a pro model camera. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

D300

D2Xs

35 f/1.8

50 f/1.8

18-55VR
18-105VR
18-105AF
Tokina 11-16

Tamron 28-75
4 or 5 Lowepro  bags
Daiwa Hi-Ace 400 tripod
Manfrotto 055CL Pro tripod
Several Yongnuo speed lights

Jinbei 600 strobe

Have a nice day.........unless you have other plans ;)

#13 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14905 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

Nikon wants folks to get a new Dx pro body. My D4 doesn't get any upgrades.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#14 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5340 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

I just got the D2Xs yesterday, so learning about what it can and cannot do. So far, I'm happy with it, although I must admit, I haven't tried out the ISO limits on it yet. I wonder how it compares to my D300?

Another thing I'm wondering about is....why there are no firmware updates for this model? Seems strange to me, considering it's a pro model camera. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

It was released in 2006 - why on earth would Nikon produce firmware updates for a camera that no profession has given second thoughts to in nearly 10 years?

Edited by Black Pearl, 25 April 2017 - 01:38 AM.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#15 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

I got a lot of color cast variance on the one I tested.  Honestly, I thought that the D1x was better at EI-3200.

As far as the updates, if there were any, they've probably been pulled off the website by now.  Are you sure that yours isn't already at the latest firmware?  The D2Xs came along well after the D2x was well established.

Edited by justshootit, 24 April 2017 - 06:13 PM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#16 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

They are excellent daylight cameras, but indoor (to me) the higher ISO brings noise. Even better with a flash unit on it. But now my daughter uses one since, she will never have to worry about low light conditions. The other I use on my Cambo Legend 4X5 Rail. But the D2 system produces some nice images considering that it's 12.4 Million Pixels.

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users