• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1075 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

I'm experimenting in Aperture Priority mode, attempting to make small things look bigger. I need to get better at it before I start taking thousands of photos for a stop motion type music video. All suggestions appreciated  :D

Knicknack_zpsjj0tq1vt.jpg

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19712 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

Can't offer a suggestion, but I am curious to how you achieve it.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1075 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

Is the tower part of that church being slightly out of focus, something that works in my favor? Or should everything be in equal focus and maybe from a lower angle? I'm not sure myself how to go about it.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19712 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Honestly, in this example, it just looks like a small figurine.  I am not sure I can visualize making it look bigger. 

As I consider this, I think the trick to getting it right is in the details.  This image has few fine details, thus giving the impression of a plastic trinket and not much that you do will change that.

Something finely crafted with attention to scale and detail may deliver the results you are seeking.  Again, I am no expert, just intrigued.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#5 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

There's way too much production involved in what I would like to do, I'm not sure how I'm going to pull it off. I write and record the music, take the photos, combine them, the rest of it is something that has to be done and I definitely don't have the time. I'm spread way too thin as it is.

#6 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:38 PM

I wasn't going to use that particular knick knack in a video, I'm just in the stages of experimenting to find the proper technique photography wise.

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14440 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

Maybe this will help, or lead you to where you can get more help.

http://www.dragonfra...stop_motion.php

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:09 PM

Maybe this will help, or lead you to where you can get more help.

http://www.dragonfra...stop_motion.php

Thanks, I was looking at their products a few weeks ago. That's the direction I'll be going in eventually.

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6257 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

Like Art, I'm intrigued, and wouldn't mind knowing more about the process.

To answer your question about the church tower, yes, it is slightly out of focus.  Is that the effect that you were trying for?  The EXIF data says that you were shooting at f5.6.  To get more in focus, stop down to f11?

Now that I've looked at Dennis' link, I'm really intrigued.  Please let us know how this goes.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#10 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Like Art, I'm intrigued, and wouldn't mind knowing more about the process.

To answer your question about the church tower, yes, it is slightly out of focus.  Is that the effect that you were trying for?  The EXIF data says that you were shooting at f5.6.  To get more in focus, stop down to f11?

Now that I've looked at Dennis' link, I'm really intrigued.  Please let us know how this goes.

I'm curious how you were able to tell what the camera was set at f5.6? I just set it at Aperture Priority and focused on the near edge. The camera did the rest.

#11 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6257 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:03 PM

I'm curious how you were able to tell what the camera was set at f5.6? I just set it at Aperture Priority and focused on the near edge. The camera did the rest.

I use an EXIF viewer that is available as an extension in Google Chrome.  The one that I use is actually called EXIF viewer.  Available for free.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users