5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeAdams

MikeAdams

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:52 PM

I just bought a SanDisk 200GB MicroSDXC, but neither my D7100 or D500 will recognize it. Is there a known problem with such cards, or did I just happen to get a bad card?

#2 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5294 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

The card is designed for mobile devices and every advert I have seen or can find suggests its for mobile devices - I can't see why you couldn't use it for your D500 but equally I can't see why you would want to as a body that fast is designed to use high speed QXD or UHS-II cards not the micro variety. 

• Art likes this

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#3 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • 6503 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:55 AM

I checked the D500 storage requirement on the DPreview review.... it says that SD/SDHC/SDXC cards should be UHS II compliant .... So I am guessing your new card is not UHS II compliant ?... Does it have the extra row of contacts..?

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#4 MikeAdams

MikeAdams

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

The reason I did not get  a QXD is that I want to swap between the two cameras. I will check the box for information on UHS I/II when I get back, this may be the problem...thanks Deepspace

#5 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5294 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

UHS-II is just a speed boost that some camera can make the most of if they have the corresponding contacts - the D500 does and so coincidently does my Fuji. You can use a UHS-I card or even a basic card or I believe a Micro card but really there is not point as the whole point of the D500 is out and out performance so unless you put a fast card in it the cameras cost is wasted. 

Is your card compatible - don't know but it should be

Should you be using it in a D500 - absolutely not.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#6 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:21 AM

The SanDisk 200GB MicroSDXC is a small card that only works in regular SD slots with an adapter.  In the D500, you run into multiple issues with compatibility of a card, the adapter, and card performance.  That's an expensive card that performs poorly in the D500 if you can get it to work.

I have not been able to verify whether this particular micro SD card will work with the D500 because it is an older card.  I do know the D500 is a high performance camera and the card will not operate as a high performance card.  This card has a peak read speed of 90 MB/s and a slower write speed in compatible devices.  This is an older SanDisk Ultra design Class 3 card.  The related issue is large capacity cards like 200GB are often problematic and you need to look for specific confirmation as to whether the card will work.  This can be card specific.  

If you want a card that will work in the D500, just get a regular SD card.  The Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s UHS-I card is a good option.  There is a Sandisk 95MB/s Micro SD card that has a write speed of 85MB/s  if you need micro SD.  I'd get a smaller card unless you have a really good reason.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users