Photo

Thom Hogan - Is Landscape Photography Done?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7796 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

I haven't done much landscape shooting because of my class.  However, Hogan has an interesting take on this that I will ponder again when I begin to contemplate life AFTER Project 52.  :)

http://dslrbodies.co...hotography.html

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 pendennis

pendennis

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Photography -nature, still life, architectural. Shooting sports - shotgun, rifle, pistol.

The body politic.

Posted Today, 09:21 AM

Mr. Hogan certainly makes very valid points.  The same questions have been asked on another forum concerning large format photography.  How many photos of Half Dome and El Capitan have been done?  The Golden Gate Bridge from either end has been done to death.  Just how many variations of Niagara's Horseshoe Falls can be done?

I will disagree, though, about the Google searches, and their millions of hits.  Most folks who get a picture of Half Dome, the Golden Gate Bridge, etc., are done for the pleasure of the photographer.  I've done the Golden Gate Bridge from both sides, and I did it for my own pleasure, and that of my family and friends.  They enjoyed it immensely, and none of them cared about the bazillions of similar images on the web.  I was there and experienced it myself.  My transparencies caught waves breaking at Fort Story, something unique from my perspective.

Horseshoe Falls was a pleasure.  There's nothing like the mist of the falls to invigorate the view, and those images are my personal reminder of the trip.

I've lived in Michigan the last 37 years.  Everyone has done the Renaissance Center, but I see something different every time I'm in the area.  Michigan's lighthouses are also photographed a lot, but not by me.  My images are different from all others, because they're mine.  I lived in Louisville the first 35 years of my life, and my images of the skyline from the Indiana side of the Ohio, are unique to me.

If you look at landscape photography as your own quest, ignoring the millions of copycats, you'll always have a new Half Dome to conquer.

Best,

Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users