• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14329 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

Took these for a client. This will be dual purpose, one set goes to the owner and one set goes to the jeweler. The husband to be likes pandas. When I went to China, I got gifts for folks and one of the things is a miniature 4 panel lacquered screen. So, I placed the ring on it since it had a panda on it. Taken with a 105, SB600 off camera main and the D200 flash set to commander, fill. Camera set to manual Center weight F11 @ 125. Attached File  Steph 5x5 ring-2.jpg   242.97KB   0 downloads Attached File  Steph ring two-1.jpg   141.4KB   1 downloads

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#2 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything thats fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hi Dennis, silver (or whitegold) should never be presented with yellow gold (at least i learned it that way). Id also have choosen a lighter coloured background (grey?) in order to let the ring stand out clearly. Can you check the focus point? From what i see in the reduced version here id say sharpness is not on the biggest dark stone in the center rather then the diamonds on the left of it. Even if the second shot is possible not the best presentation it has something of a still life which i like (and do to the story you told us it becomes a deeper meaning). Just my 2-cents
Cheers

Virgil

#3 Mickaisy

Mickaisy

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Photography of course! And rockin the upright bass.

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

I like the second one, has a very soft and airy feel to it. The first picture, at first glance, drew my attention to the sharpest point of the gold rock just below the ring. The ring seems to get a bit lost and overtaken with the gold background much like Virgil said.
d5000 DSLR!

18-55mm vr nikkor lens
55-200mm vr nikkor lens which decided to stop working :(

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14329 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

Sorry for the late response, been out of town for a while. I agree about white/yellow gold being together, but the jeweler wanted them together. He had just received that gold nugget and wanted it to be framed with the ring before he turned around and sold it. The softness comes from the reduction, I re-checked and the black stone is clear. Thanks all for the comments, I appreciate it.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users