Photo

Nikon D2x - Full sensor or high speed crop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you shoot mostly full frame or high speed crop? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you shoot mostly full frame or high speed crop?

1. Full Frame (11 votes [78.57%])

Percentage of vote: 78.57%

2. High Speed Crop (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 mike_flood

mike_flood

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:28 PM

Which do you use? Full sensor or High Speed crop. I get distracted by the shooting process and forget to compose with in the crop guides. How about you?

#2 MarcBC

MarcBC

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

Which do you use? Full sensor or High Speed crop.
I get distracted by the shooting process and forget to compose with in the crop guides. How about you?

Always full sensor, unless I am photographing motorbike racing and my 200mm lens is too small. I therefore us HS crop to effectively move from 300 to 400mm!

Not perhaps what is was designed for, but it works well, and I am now .rarely confused by the guides. If anything, it helps as I can see what is surrounding the object more easily (not so many trees sticking out of peoples heads!.
D3 l D2X
AF-S Nikkor 14-24mmf/2.8G l AF-S Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G DX IF-ED l AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G l AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D AF l AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED l AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8G VR IF-ED l AF-S Nikkor 300mm f2.8G VR IF-ED l Nikon TC-14 II
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM ASPH
SB-900 l SB-800 l SU-800
Manfrotto 475B l Manfrotto 468MGRC4 l Manfrotto 329RC4 l Manfrotto 190XPROB
CS4 / Adjust 4 / DeNoise 3

#3 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything thatīs fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

Same here - like Marc expressed - if the 200mm are not sufficient (or i forget my TC17E-II at home) HSC-mode comes handy and saves the day.
Cheers

Virgil

#4 Eric O

Eric O

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

Hi Mike,

I just received my D2Xs last week and already shot several baseball games with it. The new viewfinder border mask for the HSC mode really works great and I can see myself shooting sports exclusively with HSC mode - especially indoor arena hockey as it will effectively extend my 70-200VR focal length while preserving the F2.8 aperture in what are often poor lighting conditions. I also love the 8fps factor. Also trimming the image size back to 7MP from 12.5 is a bonus as I rarely exceed 13x19 prints for sport shots. I was considering the D2Hs but the 4MP was a little behind the pack in my opinion. I feel the D2Xs covers my varied shooting needs perfectly.

Now for landscape and wildlife I can see resorting to regular full sensor 12.5MP for detail and poster prints which I sell.
Eric

Which do you use? Full sensor or High Speed crop.
I get distracted by the shooting process and forget to compose with in the crop guides. How about you?

#5 Van Hilliard

Van Hilliard

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Nature photography, sports including bicycling, hammer and heavy weight throw, music

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:26 AM

Also I voted for HSC, I use both about equally. I too forget (on the D2X) to observe the crop lines. for that reason alone, the D2Xs would be a worthwhile upgrade. I'm most likely to mis-crop when taking bird flight shots.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users