Photo

Commerce Court North [Image Heavy]

open doors toronto commerce court north art deco historic site nikon d3100 toronto

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:38 AM

This was the third stop for Doors Open 2017.

Commerce Court North - the HQ of Canadian Bank of Commerce - has always been one of my favourite buildings in the downtown core (both the exterior and interior). I didn't take any pics of the exterior carvings, gargoyles, etc. as i can get those anytime.

There were so many historical artifacts (Canadian money from various decades, guns, etc.) on display but the glass and lighting plus the reflections of lots of people made it pointless to photograph.

1. Completed in 1931 by Darling and Pearson (Bank of Commerce at 197 Yonge, AGO, ROM, Mount Pleasant Mausoleum) with the help of York and Sawyer, the 34-storey limestone clad tower was the tallest building in the British Empire/Commonwealth until 1962. 

2 & 3. Murals by Hamilton artist Arthur Crisp.

4. The architect couldn't find the precise shade of blue that he wanted for the ceiling, until he saw a construction worker's shirt. He bought the shirt from the man for $1 and showed it to the paint mixer, who produced the shade seen in the spots above.

5. For the first time ever, one of the magnificent historical chandeliers in the North Tower was lowered for up-close viewing.

6. The banking hall is said to be modelled after the Baths of Caracalla in Rome.

7. This area was sealed off for doors open. I'm shooting over a 6 or 7 ft barrier.

8. The plaque below this said: This screen is deciated to the memory of those of our staff who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918

"These laid the world away; poured out the red Sweet wine of youth; gave up the years to be Of work and joy, and that unhoped serene, That men call age; and those who would have been, Their sons, they gave, their immortality." 

8. Historical artifacts.

9. Ceiling.

10. Hallway.

11. This was taken through a window. The door was locked. 

12. Surrounding the Commerce Court complex of buildings is a plaza featuring a fountain in its centre, and a three piece bronze sculpture by Derrick Stephan Hudson entitled, Tembo, Mother of Elephants completed in 2002. The sculptures were installed on site in 2005 on loan from the L.L. Odette Foundation of Windsor, Ontario.

Attached Files

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

I like the series, Jason.

My 2 favourite living photographers are Don Gianatti and Ben Long.  They're both writers and educators.  Their advice is identical:  think outside the box; and get out and shoot.

You are doing both, admirably.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

Thanks for the compliment and the introduction to these two photographers, Mark! :)

I'm not really familiar with either photographer's work. Looking up their websites revealed some awesome photos. I see both photographers have interesting books I'd like to check out, too. 

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

Great series, Jason.  Wow, you made good use of the next day!

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#5 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22686 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:25 AM

Great series of a wonderful building! Now that is a water fountain! :D

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:14 AM

Great work there Jason... interesting place.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#7 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Thanks, Art! I felt like the energizer bunny and just kept going...After seeing Nick Cave at Massey Hall last night, I'll be adding that building to the itinerary next year. 

Thanks, Jim! Unfortunately, there were a lot of people sitting on the fountain ruining the shot so I didn't take one.  :D

Thanks, Peter! It is quite an interesting place. In the future, I'll post some photos of the gargoyles, grotesques and scenes from mythology that are carved out all around the building. Unfortunately, the observation deck, which has "The Giants of Jordan," has been closed to the public since the 70s (though some of the people that work there apparently have access). They opened the deck for the media a month or two ago. This article has some photos: http://www.blogto.co...ce-court-north/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: open doors toronto, commerce court north, art deco, historic site, nikon d3100, toronto

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users