• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Farming, horses, photography, golf, prowler (side-by-side) riding anytime of the year, helping my boyfriend restore cars and trucks, going to car shows and hanging out with our best friends.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

Hello Everyone,

I need some input/advice on ND filters.  I'm still learning my new camera so I don't need anything too expensive or too fancy (haha).  Could someone please explain the difference in the ND filters? And which one I can use on the camera without having to focus first?  If I said that correctly. 

Any information will be greatly appreciated!  I want to get out there and experiment more with my photography!

Thank you,

Christina :-)

Imagination disposes of everything; it creates beauty, justice, and happiness, which is everything in this world. Pascal

Nikon D5200
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10665 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

Christina, RonW is our ND expert and I'm sure he could give you some good advice.

My primary choice of brands are B+W (brass ring), Hoya (aluminium ring) and Nikon. As far as I know Nikon is not in the ND-filter market.

I think you can still focus using an ND6 filter but perhaps one of our Planteers can confirm that. Probably also dependant on the camera model used.

My ND-filter is a 9-stop ND500 manufactured by Light Craft Workshop.

Perhaps something similar to a Light Craft Workshop Variable ND-filter is the answer. ND values run from 2 to 8. Further higher ranges are available but more costly.

Whatever your choice it may be an idea to purchase a large diameter ND-filter and use step-up adapters for your smaller diameter lenses.

Could save you a few bucks!

Hope this helps a bit.

:) 

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hi Christina,

As would have it, I had a phone call yesterday from a close friend of mine who  is a  photographic pro shop manager

We were actually talking about ND filters, I asked him about the variable ND filters and he advised against them as a lot his clients were getting mixed results

As Herman mentioned, Ron W is our ND filter king here, amazing images from his ND filters

.......Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#4 aoakley89

aoakley89

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Farming, horses, photography, golf, prowler (side-by-side) riding anytime of the year, helping my boyfriend restore cars and trucks, going to car shows and hanging out with our best friends.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

Thank you for replying! Hopefully Ron will be able to reply soon, I would like to see what he suggests. 

I just hope I understand correctly.  So does the variable filter mean I can keep it on my lens and still focus at the same time? 

Thank you!

Christina

Imagination disposes of everything; it creates beauty, justice, and happiness, which is everything in this world. Pascal

Nikon D5200
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED
AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

#5 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Have not used any ... But interested in this topic.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#6 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

Thank you for replying! Hopefully Ron will be able to reply soon, I would like to see what he suggests. 

I just hope I understand correctly.  So does the variable filter mean I can keep it on my lens and still focus at the same time? 

Thank you!

Christina

Yes you can!

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users