• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#151 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23586 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:39 PM

Jim,

Agree, people with less means or not invested in the brand have more options and can decide based on features, price and value for the dollar spent. 

And, the Z line may not be for them. That is fine.

Nikon is not marketing to them.  Can you imagine if they came out with a camera that was not backward compatible and did not support the customer base.  In my opinion, they did a very good job here.

But Art dont you need a feeder line?

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#152 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21226 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:01 PM

But Art dont you need a feeder line?

Jim

Absolutely,

I have to think, the line is not ready for that yet.

My only reasoning for not having an intro-feeder yet, is they need to get a foothold first.  Their most likely easiest audience is the Nikon base, which is massive.  The Aficionados and brand champions are most likely, the target audience and anyone who buys into the concept.  

I will bet, a High End comes out next, and a feeder one, priced more reasonably.

Signature_Line_V4

#153 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15290 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Thom Hogan says, that two DX version will be in coming. Not sure how he knows. So far, I think pro of any level wanted this; hikers, some portrait folks and so on. So, I think Nikon target this group first. I guess they are going to work out bug's and further features. The pricing is certainly not for casual or entry level. You need to want this, and you would know and pay the price. My hope, that for this group, the high cost to play and be beta testers would get more features and updates to their bodies. A gamble.

I'm planning on getting the Z6 for light carrying in the field. I like the Nikon feel and familiarity of the body. And the price seems right at that level.

• Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#154 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15290 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:38 AM

Here is a statement from Nikon at Photokina;

"I cannot confirm that, yes, we are doing a DX, but there will be models below the Z6. We will widen up the range to different users and different price brackets, definitely…"

Read more: https://nikonrumors..../#ixzz5SJxd0y3u

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#155 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7239 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:25 PM

Nikon Rumours has an announcement that will be good news for Sigma lens users:

https://nikonrumors....px/#more-127808

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#156 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 30 September 2018 - 06:08 AM

Here is a statement from Nikon at Photokina;

"I cannot confirm that, yes, we are doing a DX, but there will be models below the Z6. We will widen up the range to different users and different price brackets, definitely…"

Read more: https://nikonrumors..../#ixzz5SJxd0y3u

That's what I was hoping for.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#157 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15290 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:38 AM

I moved this post to the Z forum.

For those in Canada, Nikon has a Z club. Here is the info; https://en.nikon.ca/...wners-club.page

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#158 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7239 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

I moved this post to the Z forum.

For those in Canada, Nikon has a Z club. Here is the info; https://en.nikon.ca/...wners-club.page

Ver-r-r-y interesting.

Angela has banned me from buying more camera toys for awhile, but the people who actually get it in their hands really like it.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#159 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15290 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:47 PM

I wasn't looking for a replacement body, I wanted another smaller body to carry around more than I do now. Mine will be the Z6 as it will be better at low light than the Z7. I like to low light performance. The D4 can take shots in near darkness. If you look at my other ISO test, the Z7 sensor is darn good. I think the Z6, with the larger photosites, will be just as fantastic. Pixels really don't matter to me. I have printed 5 ft x 7ft images from the D4, it's what Nikon dos with them that matters.

I was leaning toward the fuji X-T3, but in playing with the T1 and T2, the buttons were a bit small for me. It's cold here in winder, and with glove liners, I didn't think it would work for me. When the Nikon came out, and I got to handle it, I fell in love. If one is looking to have a mirrorless as an addition, I recommend it. 

As a replacement, I would replace a D800 with it if I was hiking with it all day, and I don't need what a DSLR can do. ​I like shooting stars, so the Z6 would be great (should be) great at that. It's all personal preference.

• Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#160 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7239 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

I thought that both Dennis and Peter might appreciate seeing how their cameras are put together.

https://nikonrumors....px/#more-128084

For my part, I've never understood why someone would want to take apart a perfectly good camera body.  :huh:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#161 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7239 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:46 PM

Thom Hogan now has a Z6/Z7 Blog.

https://www.sansmirr...ikon-z6z7-blog/

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#162 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21226 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:32 AM

That is impressive.  So much miniaturization and very, very thin ribbon cable. A marvel of technology.

And, probably a nightmare to repair.

Signature_Line_V4

#163 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15290 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:08 PM

Im hopefull that all this means Nikon can make upgrades to it.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#164 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7239 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:27 PM

The Z 7 was announced over a month ago, and Adobe still hasn't figured out how to open RAW files in Lightroom?  :o

https://nikonrumors....px/#more-128108

Fortunately, Nikon Rumours has published a work-around.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#165 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15290 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

Adobe release updates to LR (and others) there is some good news, and some we have to wait still. While adobe can read the Z7 files, and gets "some" of them right now. It doesn't recognize the lens. There is no lens profiles for the new lenses yet. The embedded distortion control is not picked up, even thought before the release LR found it. And LR reads the picture controls files, like this one shot in mono. No adjustments, just reduced for PN.

Attached File  _DSC0175-1.jpg   263.26KB   0 downloads

This is a raw NEF file.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#166 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21226 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:08 AM

Does Capture NX-D read the files?  

For that matter, have you tried ANY of the Nikon software on the Z file?

Curious if they work ok.

Signature_Line_V4

#167 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15290 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:13 AM

Yes, the Nikon software works great. when the banding issue started, I got some files and could not reproduce the issues. There's some, but let's not go there in this topic. My point is that, the software does extreamly with with the files. However CNXD still is a dog, hard to use and a pain. I guess, if I spent time actually learning it, I might think differently. But, the performance issues is just to much for me. Especially when LR is also a dog at a lot of times. I checked and the distortion is captured by CNXD, still.

PS:

If I have to use CNDX to get a very good file, then I'll probably drop LR subscription and use one of the other new software that has basically the same stuff as I do in LR/PS. It'll mean I will have to relearn that stuff. Those composites I do is a big factor of using the subscription.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#168 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7239 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

Yes, the Nikon software works great. when the banding issue started, I got some files and could not reproduce the issues. There's some, but let's not go there in this topic. My point is that, the software does extreamly with with the files. However CNXD still is a dog, hard to use and a pain. I guess, if I spent time actually learning it, I might think differently. But, the performance issues is just to much for me. Especially when LR is also a dog at a lot of times. I checked and the distortion is captured by CNXD, still.

PS:

If I have to use CNDX to get a very good file, then I'll probably drop LR subscription and use one of the other new software that has basically the same stuff as I do in LR/PS. It'll mean I will have to relearn that stuff. Those composites I do is a big factor of using the subscription.

Dennis, have you tried calling Adobe Support about this?  The one time that I had to call them, I was reasonably impressed.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#169 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15290 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:54 PM

Dennis, have you tried calling Adobe Support about this?  The one time that I had to call them, I was reasonably impressed.  :)

About performance, yes. Way too many times.

About the missing lenses, no, I expect lens profiles to come out shortly.

About the embedded profiles, not yet. It just came out and I have a surgery to attend to tomorrow.

So far, in looking at the end results of the pic's in both CNXD and LR, it comes out to be the same. I don't have to work much to get it right in LR for the parts I see missing at the moment. And since the distortion profiles could be considered lens info, it may come out when the actual lens profiles comes out. For sensor data, LR is picking up some of the settings as it did before the update. for the BW picture control I updated, it did pick up the; high contrast push, sharpness and a few other stuff. But not the clarity changes, it didn't pick that up before the update either. I expect that adobe release this support as a official bandaide, since it was partially working before the update. Adobe released a bunch of cannon fixes in tethering and a few other things. With a note stating the corresponding Nikon fixes will be coming out soon. I took that as, more nikon stuff to come. LOL.

I think adobe lucked out, and it was good press to say we officially support the new Z so quickly. If they did do any work on it, it was not much.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users