• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2805 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:56 AM

When we get our tax refund in about 3 months, l was thinking about getting an older FF body to try out full frame. Maybe a Canon 5D MK II or D700. lf l do, l'll need a wide-tele zoom for it. l see several of the 24-85 on Ebay buy it now about 200usd or even less. With a max aperture of 2.8-4, l was expecting the lens to be at least 300 or more. Why are these so cheap? lnferior image quality? Or another reason??? lf it's a good lens at that price, then l may go with a Nikon instead of Canon. Canon has a nice 24-85 USM with good lQ for about 130usd, but the max aperture is 3.5-4.5.

Edited by LightMeter, 02 December 2019 - 04:58 AM.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1428 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:59 AM

Mebbe 'cuz it's a kit lens........?

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#3 pendennis

pendennis

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Photography -nature, still life, architectural. Shooting sports - shotgun, rifle, pistol.

The body politic.

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:35 AM

I use this lens with my D500, because at larger apertures, it's soft on the edges.  I bought one years ago for my F-5, and didn't like it much.  A year, or so later, I bought a D200 and it worked fine.  It seems to have some light fall-off at wider focal lengths.  Those are just observations when I shot with transparency film in testing.  The DX format cameras crop out the FX edges, so it works, but just OK.

I paid around $600 for it new.

Best,

Dennis

#4 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2805 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:51 AM

Thanks Dennis. l'll probably avoid the lens.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, D40, Canon M50, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users