• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

I just bought an 8 string Lap Steel guitar and would like to post a couple photos but I always end up with a very generic looking photo. What settings and techniques are generally used for taking photos of guitars with natural wood with transparent sunburst paint jobs? Making objects look 3D and full bodied is something that I can't grasp as of yet.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21425 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

For the look I think you are trying to achieve, you are going to need multiple lights, with soft boxes.  I have a thread going from a studio class I took.  You might benefit from having a quite look at some of the images.  It was a portrait course, but the lighting used there is what you will need.

http://www.planetnik...portrait +class

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15403 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

Yes, your going to need a few lights. You would position lights and flag (to block the light) to add highlights to help shape the guitar.

If you have a large window, patio door, you can use natural light. Just got air until you have good light coming through. Having shears over the window will halo make the light even better, less harsh.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7391 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

I just watched a video on lighting a guitar, as part of the Tabletop photography course that I'm taking through Creative Live.  Don Giannatti used a small soft box, one speed light and foam core boards as reflectors.  However, he shot major sections of the guitar separately, then composited them in Photoshop.  Oh, he also had very good assistants!  :)

If you want to do it all it in one go, you won't go wrong following Art and Dennis' advice.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#5 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15403 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

Here is a sample where I used two 5ft umbrella's as cross light. Same principle as window light.

Attached File  _DS40131-Edit-1.jpg   144.32KB   0 downloads

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:40 PM

For the look I think you are trying to achieve, you are going to need multiple lights, with soft boxes.  I have a thread going from a studio class I took.  You might benefit from having a quite look at some of the images.  It was a portrait course, but the lighting used there is what you will need.

http://www.planetnik...portrait +class

Thanks a bunch, I'll check it out!

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#7 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

This is a photo I took of my Ibanez acoustic and mandolin a few years ago with my Galaxy 4 cellphone camera. It came out better than what I did with my D3300 (except the chandolier glare in the mandolin). Thanks for the tips guys!

ibanez_mand_zps6mo2mw5o.jpg

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15403 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

Place them on a stand, and angle them from the light. It will help.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#9 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:41 AM

Lighting reflective surfaces is very challenging.  

I have a friend - a Nikon shooter - that makes high end custom fiddles and violins.  We did a meet-up at his house a few years ago and experimented with lighting for finished and in process instruments.

http://www.dudleyvio...nstruments.html

He was using a table with a big drape to create a seamless backdrop.  He developed some stands to hold the violins allowing lighting to wrap around the instruments and light them from behind.  We were using flashes, but constant lighting is easier to manage reflections.  With strobes, you go through a series of test shot, correct and test again.  Lighting from the side is extremely important, but you also end up making a lot of small adjustments to correct reflections on the neck or edges.

Editing is always a bit more complicated because there are reflections that need to be fixed.  It's possible to move around lights and composite multiple images in post.  You can also use an HDR in some cases.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#10 Luis V.

Luis V.

Planet Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

You can shoot this with one light or various. By "light" I mean source. That can be a window or a strobe/flash. Capturing the shape and depth of an object is similar to shooting portraits. In the end you are playing with shadows and highlights to provide shape.

If I may suggest something.... shoot an egg. No joking here. Shoot an egg.

Setup the egg lying in any orientation and light it the way you would light the guitar. Then shoot it. It will give you the concept of how the light is playing with a 3D object. The soft curves of the egg will help you visualize how another curved object (guitar vs, for example, a box) will show depth. It's FAR easier to move the egg and/or camera around it than it is to deal with the full sized object.

In the end, you will get the general drift of the lighting. All joking aside...... that is how I practiced different lighting setups for portraits. I would start simple... one light or strobe and then go from there. One thing. Keep a relatively small aperture. If you are shooting at f4 or f5.6 you'll get a shallow depth of field, relatively speaking, which will make getting everything sharp difficult. I'd be trying to light it such that you are dealing with f11 to f16.
Luis V.Nikon D800/D2X/D200/D100Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 AFS | 24-70mm f/2.8 AFS | 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS VR-II | 200-400mm f/4 AFS | 50mm f/1.4D | 85mm f/1.4D | 105mm f/2.8 Macro

#11 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:19 PM

I just bought an 8 string Lap Steel guitar and would like to post a couple photos but I always end up with a very generic looking photo. What settings and techniques are generally used for taking photos of guitars with natural wood with transparent sunburst paint jobs? Making objects look 3D and full bodied is something that I can't grasp as of yet.

I know I'm late to the party but I just saw this...

I don't know the shape but I would light it at an diagonal angle to bring up the wood textures a bit.  A large softbox with the  diffuser intact or a shoot thru scrim panel. That should give the fretboard will have high level of detail Also a bounce reflector of some type.. Maybe a foam core panel to bounce like back at the shadow side, but just outside the frame (you can decide how much fill More/Closer.. Less/Farther back). I would think that would be a start, and then tweak from that. I am not sure what type lighting you are going to use, but if you are able to use a larger box or a large shoot thru panel I would go that route. That should also help you keep specular highlights under control because you are using larger softer sources as opposed to smaller hard ones. Although to be honest small sources are great for raising up textures....

Edited by gregc, 10 August 2018 - 12:39 AM.

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users