• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18940 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

I ran into a photographer using this Sony camera on a trip down to the lake. Sounded like F-Stop Ridge when she was firing off images. I had to ask what she was using and this is what I saw or was told. Sony A77 Fixed Mirror 12 fps 24mp flip up LCD display So, this seems to be the next direction is a mirror that doesn't flip up and increases the fps phenomenally. I have heard of this fix mirror technology before, just never saw it in action. The camera sounded like it was ripping cloth with every burst. I haven't heard any Nikon rumours on this yet, but I am sure this is all just around the corner as well. $1700 for body an 32GB card. Very reasonably priced. Here is a link to a review: http://www.dpreview....iews/sonyslta77 It simply doesn't end, does it! :lol:

Edited by Art, 23 August 2012 - 09:56 AM.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#2 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Picture Framing. Digital Photography. Music. Walking.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

The Sony gear that I have had the misfortune of using was horrible. The controls were totally counter intuitive, the menu system huge and baffling, auto focus on the 40mm macro lens sounded like nuts and bolts in a pepper grinder. Just awful! And my friend bought it against my advice of going Canon or Nikon because the shop assistant told her it was her best option. If it wasn't for BP I would believe that all camera shop staff are evil! I used the thing for a good few hours and I never managed to work out how to change aperture in manual mode. I had to flick back to aperture priority to change f stop and then flick back to manual to change shutter speed and iso. Im sure it was all in the manual but surely Sony of all people should be capable of something a little more user friendly than that?! Ahemhem, glad to have that off my chest, sorry! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Nikkor 85mm f3.5 Micro VR
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18940 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

:lol: Tom, I am not a huge fan of SONY. We all have our electronic horror stories and mine is with PS3. Save it for another day. Just to be clear, my post is meant for enlightenment only. I was blown away by the shutter speed and MP combo. Nothing more. I will never (well, for the foreseeable future) buy anything SONY again. Bloated prices and really bad customer service. No thanks. However, this is a Harbinger of technology to come.

Edited by Art, 23 August 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#4 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5226 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

I can't stand the things either - I understand why Sony stopped making SLR's and went down the path of their current SLT's but they are not a first choice brand. 1. There are quite a few of their current (plus the older Minolta users) who want to upgrade to a newer camera but still want a SLR. They've had it and that's a shame as many have a bag of serious glass investment. 2. The viewfinders (A77 kind of excepted as it's not too bad) are awful....and I mean awful to use. They are grainy, have horrendous delays and blur like you wouldn't believe when the camera is in motion. 3. The control layout is haphazard and that's being kind. I know I'm a Nikon user so I'm biased towards what I know and prefer but remember I use dozen of different cameras every week so I have a good idea what works and what doesn't. Sony's are by far the worst. 4. The whole point of the translucent mirror is to make the camera fast and to make the video better - the thing is they're not the best route to HD video. Canon have it sown up with the 5d series and Nikon are going to take the rest with their new bodies. Can't remember the last time I sold an Alpha and I can't imagine I'll sell one in the near future.

Edited by Black Pearl, 23 August 2012 - 01:02 PM.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18940 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

I can't stand the things either - I understand why Sony stopped making SLR's and went down the path of their current SLT's but they are not a first choice brand.
1. There are quite a few of their current (plus the older Minolta users) who want to upgrade to a newer camera but still want a SLR. They've had it and that's a shame as many have a bag of serious glass investment. 2. The viewfinders (A77 kind of excepted as it's not too bad) are awful....and I mean awful to use. They are grainy, have horrendous delays and blur like you wouldn't believe when the camera is in motion. 3. The control layout is haphazard and that's being kind. I know I'm a Nikon user so I'm biased towards what I know and prefer but remember I use dozen of different cameras every week so I have a good idea what works and what doesn't. Sony's are by far the worst. 4. The whole point of the translucent mirror is to make the camera fast and to make the video better - the thing is they're not the best route to HD video. Canon have it sown up with the 5d series and Nikon are going to take the rest with their new bodies.
Can't remember the last time I sold an Alpha and I can't imagine I'll sell one in the near future.

I half expected as much. The woman (very pleasant, both her and her friend) told me some guy in the park laughed at her gear a couple of weeks ago and she simply packed up and left. I don't agree with this, but the more arrogant snobs who frequent the parks will speak their mind, regardless of who they offend.

She was also complaining about the camera "fringing with certain lenses". I take it this must mean vignetting.

Anyway, as I said, the reason I posted was I can see some future possibilities with the technology and thought I would mention what I saw. SONY anything would be the last thing I would personally recommend to anyone, much less a camera.

But I will tell you, the shutter sounded cool!

#6 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

On a brighter note, Sony still make great reasonably priced in ear headphones. Wonderful sound for 30.00!
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#7 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Sony = evil. Remember their DRM auto-install software that they shipped with some audio CDs? Of course I never would have bought the kind of music CD on which they had installed the software but it left a bad impression and I have since never bought (knowingly) anything Sony related. Peter

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18940 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Sony = evil. Remember their DRM auto-install software that they shipped with some audio CDs? Of course I never would have bought the kind of music CD on which they had installed the software but it left a bad impression and I have since never bought (knowingly) anything Sony related.

Peter

SONY has made a lot of enemies over the years. I guess that is why they had some many financial issues a short while ago.

#9 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3511 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

My biggest objection to the pellical-mirrored Sony is the 30% loss of light to the sensor (about 1/3 stop).

Interesting article: http://en.wikipedia....Pellicle_mirror
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#10 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5226 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

Thats a point DD, the NEX-7 has a better range of ISO performance even though it has the exact same sensor. There's no mirror in the way so all the light hits the sensor....thing is I don't like the NEX range either.

Instagram

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18940 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

My biggest objection to the pellical-mirrored Sony is the 30% loss of light to the sensor (about 1/3 stop).

Interesting article: http://en.wikipedia....Pellicle_mirror

Good link. So this is an interesting but flawed concept.

This is making me think (smell the burning wires yet?)! My LCD screen is amazing on my D800. Why couldn't you have an LCD screen inside your viewfinder as well and no mirror at all?

Seems like a simple enough concept to me. If it works on the BACK of my camera, why wouldn't it work in the viewfinder (says the man with no technical design or engineering knowledge what so ever!)?

#12 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Good link. So this is an interesting but flawed concept.

This is making me think (smell the burning wires yet?)! My LCD screen is amazing on my D800. Why couldn't you have an LCD screen inside your viewfinder as well and no mirror at all?

Seems like a simple enough concept to me. If it works on the BACK of my camera, why wouldn't it work in the viewfinder (says the man with no technical design or engineering knowledge what so ever!)?

Art,
I think that's how the Nikon V1 works. There is a viewfinder but it is a small LCD.

Peter

#13 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18940 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

Art,
I think that's how the Nikon V1 works. There is a viewfinder but it is a small LCD.

Peter

Darn, now I can't sue them for stealing my idea! I guess I better go buy a lottery ticket! :lol:

Honestly, had no idea but it seems like a good idea. It would seem a lot more cleaver to turn a sensor on and off than having something mechanical to deal with. Brilliant idea! ;)

#14 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Im not sure if this is what you mean but with my old camera you could view captured images in the viewfinder. I bought that quite a long time ago.
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#15 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6306 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Good idea Art but in a DSLR the focusing and exposure are all controlled via the mirror.... so far this method is better than using the sensor (live view) to do the focusing especially... it would be difficult to do things like tracking or picking the area you want to be in focus ,like you can do through the mirror/view finder... Live view focusing is slower.. that is why we use DSLR's for the speed and not Point & shoots. If dedicated focus points could be incorporated in the sensor without upsetting the final image this could change.... who knows what future technology produces? The Fuji X100 is another camera with a mini screen in the view finder, you can switch between the optical view and the 'live view'. Peter
Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#16 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5226 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

The Nikon 1 Series have hybrid AF that can switch between Phase and Contrast Detect AF as needed and do both using the main sensor - Nikon say they can focus as fast as a D3x. Fuji offer the same with their high end compacts - not the X Series for some odd reason - where some of the sensors pixels are actually Phase Detect pick-ups meaning AF is blisteringly fast. The reason AF in Live View is so slow on a DSLR is simply down to Nikon and Canon dragging their heels and being bl**dy minded enough to not offer what is currently available because of 'tradition' in some desperate hope that they can seem elitist. Bugs the H*ll out of me because there is no technological reason why a modern DSLR can't AF with blinding speed regardless of the viewing mode.

Instagram

#17 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18940 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

Robin, You would think Nikon learned it's lesson when Canon wiped the floor with them over the last two decades for doing exactly that. Dragging your heals with hi- tech is akin to suicide. Just a matter of time as to when another player in the industry eats their lunch.

Edited by Art, 24 August 2012 - 07:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users