17 replies to this topic

#1 Shortline

Shortline

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

Looking forward to exploring the forum. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to cameras. A few years ago, on a whim, I bought a D-7000, got it home, took it out of the box, got very confused, and put it back in the box and on the shelf. Trying again.....Really would like to get comfortable with it, both for personal, and professional use. I create training for our company, and quality photos will make a big difference, as will video. Looking to really understand the settings, and Photoshop, and eventually some video software.

Right now just have the basics, the D-7000 body, kit zoom lens, and a 50mm lens, along with the basic things. Also have a Yuneec Q-500 drone, but haven't played with it yet either. Primary purpose will be shooting wife and son's equestrian events, our Motorcycle groups riding events, and some technical shots at work for PowerPoint and online CBT training.

Recently moved to Birmingham AL, so planning to take some classes at Birmingham School of Photography to jump start the learning process!

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9912 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

Welcome to PlanetNikon!

I'm sure you will find plenty of info here...

Don't hesitate to ask if assistance is ever required.

Enjoy!

Herman

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14458 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

Welcome from Colorado.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6571 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

Welcome aboard... plenty of learning to be had here.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#5 Shortline

Shortline

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

Thanks, already finding some great resources I didn't know about. (Nikon Digitutor and some books)

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:54 PM

Welcome to the Planet, Shortline.

Enjoy your stay, don't hesitate to ask for help or tips.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#7 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8416 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

Welcome from South Alabama.

Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#8 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22685 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

Welcome shortline to the planet from Memphis TN! Please feel free to ask anything this is a great group and we enjoy helping others.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4640 posts
  • Interests:Photography, plastic model cars, darts, drag racing, hiking

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:01 PM

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest! You might want to buy “Mastering The Nikon D7000”. It is writtten by the creator of this site and all his books are very helpful. Jeff
[font=Arial][size=1]
Nikon D300
Nikon D200
18-70 Nikkor 3.5-4.5 G
55-200 Nikkor 4-5.6
105 Micro Nikkor 2.8G VR
SB-600 Speedlight
Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod
Manfrotto 3130 Pan/Tilt Head
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
Nikon D810
Nikkor 24-120 AFS F/4G ED VR

#10 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3216 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:21 AM

The 7000 will do what you want. I had one of those cameras and liked it. I am in Nashville.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#11 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

Hi Shortline,

Greetings from Canada's West Coast.

Like everyone else has said, I think that you'll find Planet Nikon a great place to "orbit" and learn.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of.  The only stupid questions are the ones that never get asked.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#12 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

Welcome from Akron, Ohio.The D7000 is a very capable picture taker. I have the full-frame equivalent - the D610 - and I like it.  How well are you coming along with your learning?  There are many here who can answer questions for you about your camera or picture taking in general.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#13 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

Welcome!

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#14 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8241 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

Greetings from Central New York, trees, not skyscrapers, cows not muggers.  I have the D7000 also but just passed it to my wife as I have the 7100 and 700.  A good camera.  Plenty of help available here.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#15 Shortline

Shortline

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Welcome from Akron, Ohio.The D7000 is a very capable picture taker. I have the full-frame equivalent - the D610 - and I like it.  How well are you coming along with your learning?  There are many here who can answer questions for you about your camera or picture taking in general.

Thanks, honestly haven't even touched the camera in several months, been busy with work. Start a month long, 12 hour intro to digital photography class in November, at Birmingham School of Photography. Other than that, just been reading some magazines and books when on a plane, that's been about my only down time lately! My favorite thing ever, is boarding a plane with no internet, it's a couple hours of ME time! lol

#16 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

Hint. You can get pictures out of a plane window that look like Arctic snowscapes. Then you can brag to your friends about your Antarctica trip :lol:
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#17 Shortline

Shortline

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

lol, I could....but then, I've been to Antarctica already, and they're already bored hearing about it! Was a C-130 Loadmaster in the USAF for a number of years. Not many places I haven't gone! Really wish I had bothered to take more pictures back then. Before digital age, I have only a handful. It was so common place going to Paris for lunch, or Milan for dinner, a two week trip to Africa, a week in Columbia or Ecuador. Just part of every day then. There would always be "next time" to take pictures, and besides, you don't want to look like a silly tourist, right?

Kind of wish I had looked like a tourist now!

#18 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

Welcome to PN

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D7200, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users