• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:26 AM

Last night on Youtube I stumbled across a video showing how to do HDR in Photoshop Elements. Older versions don't do it, but my Elements 11 does. I've had it for about 4 years and just now discovered it. You use the photomerge exposure tool. I shot 3 images in my room at 1 stop apart. The HDR was a little better than an individual image, but not much. Tomorrow I'll try 5 images and see if it's better.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

#2 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:31 AM

I'll have to check it out in Elements 14

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#3 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

Generally speaking you will see the effect of HDR to its' fullest when shooting an outdoor scene with strong natural lighting/shadowing. For indoor shots, HDR is very good when the shot includes a window with bright daylight outside and you don't want to or don't need to use balanced fill flash. Shooting more than 3 images also helps a bit, giving greater exposure range. I can't recall shooting more than 5 images. Maybe one day I will try 7 or 9.

#4 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:31 AM

. I can't recall shooting more than 5 images. Maybe one day I will try 7 or 9.

Does it have to be an odd number of images?

Bill

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

#5 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9908 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:59 AM

Bill. may be worth your while to check if the free NIK Software Suite is compatible with PSE11 (it worked with PSE12).

A wonderful enhancement to your software (includes a HDR module as well) if you don't already have it.

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14458 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

Technically, yes. At least three -1,0,+1.    You could have more, depending on the contrast range. 

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

Bill. may be worth your while to check if the free NIK Software Suite is compatible with PSE11 (it worked with PSE12).

A wonderful enhancement to your software (includes a HDR module as well) if you don't already have it.

Good suggestion by Herman.  He's thinking of HDR Efex Pro.  As good as anything currently out there; and it's free.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#8 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 9908 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

Technically, yes. At least three -1,0,+1.    You could have more, depending on the contrast range. 

My D50 has a menu setting BKT Set (WB Bracketing) whereby with 1 press of the button, it creates 3 images. You have the option of setting the WB-bracketing at 1, 2 or 3 steps i.e. as above or -2, 0, +2 or -3, 0, +3

Note - It will ONLY give the above when set to JPG-mode!

#9 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

My D50 has a menu setting BKT Set (WB Bracketing) whereby with 1 press of the button, it creates 3 images. You have the option of setting the WB-bracketing at 1, 2 or 3 steps i.e. as above or -2, 0, +2 or -3, 0, +3

Note - It will ONLY give the above when set to JPG-mode!

Herman,

WB is White Balance and probably will not work to create proper images for HDR processing. For the D50 you can use the AE & Flash bracketing, but it also is limited to 3 automatic exposures. On more advanced Nikon DSLRs the options available for automatically creating exposure bracketed images increases in complexity. However, one can still make 5 or 7 or however many (limited by your camera's EV chart and shooting conditions, among other things) over and under exposed images to assemble into an HDR image. Just use the exposure compensation function - shoot a normal exposure shot, then shoot equal numbers of over and under exposed shots using the exposure compensation function. Just remember, if you start with a certain shutter speed that is near the bottom or top of the camera's shutter speed range then you might hit that limit and end up with fewer usable shots than originally planned.

Peter

#10 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 9908 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Peter.

I thought of pointing the above out in case the D70s has a similar feature. Could be interesting for CBN too as het has the D50 as well.

#11 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:15 PM

No, it doesn't have to be an odd number.  If you use a Nikon DSLR bracketing the and go both sides of the recommended exposure you will end up with an odd number.

The images can be more than one stop apart.  I frequently use 5 steps 2 stops apart.  The  exposure range doesn't need to be symmetrical about zero either.  You can easily do that by setting an exposure correction in addition to bracketing.  I've never tried it but the steps shouldn't even have to be equally spaced, but then you need to manually change the exposure instead of letting the bracketing function of the camera do it.  The important thing is that the minimum exposure prevents blowing out the highlights and the maximum exposure shows detail in the darkest areas you want in your image.

Finally you need to do your bracketing or exposure adjustment using shutter speed, not aperture so all the images have the same depth of focus.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#12 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:32 AM

Thanks Gary.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users