Nik filters and very vivid color!

13 replies to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24017 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:33 PM

This was processed in Nikon NX and Nik filters Sunshine filter. I was going for the Velvia look and I think I nailed it. Some may not like this but occasionally I like to see that vivid Velvia look. :blink: B) Jim

Attached Images

• DSC_5785.jpg

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything thatīs fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:29 AM

I think itīs a matter of personal taste and if vivid blues and greens are what Felvia produces you really nailed it.
Cheers

Virgil

#3 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24017 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:47 AM

Virg Velvia is Fuji's legendary slide film it was so popular when they stopped making the 50 ISO version there was an uproar last year and they reintroduced it. Landscape photographers love it for its extremely vivid blues, greens and reds. I am sure it is the most vivid of all the slide films. Jim From Fuji: "The latest Fujichrome, Velvia 100 film carries on the tradition of vivid color and intense saturation of Fujichrome Velvia 50." "Velvia 50 is back. The original Velvia product provides the High Saturation and Vivid color that has become a Favorite of Photographers. Velvia 50 will begin shipping in the summer of 2007. "

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:13 AM

Yankee colour. Ken Rockwell would love it!!!! :blink: :unsure: B) Dave Whiteley :lol:
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24017 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:17 AM

Ha I knew Dave would join in. Yea this maybe subdued for Ken! :wacko: :P

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#6 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

I never liked Velvia myself, unless I was trying to impress those who love bright colours - like Japanese clients. ;). I was more of an Ektachrome Pro 64 (at least I think that's what is was called :P ) man myself. Anyway it looks like you got the look.
Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#7 TheRasmuss

TheRasmuss

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:23 AM

Virg Velvia is Fuji's legendary slide film it was so popular when they stopped making the 50 ISO version there was an uproar last year and they reintroduced it. Landscape photographers love it for its extremely vivid blues, greens and reds. I am sure it is the most vivid of all the slide films.

Jim
From Fuji:

"The latest Fujichrome, Velvia 100 film carries on the tradition of vivid color and intense saturation of Fujichrome Velvia 50."

"Velvia 50 is back. The original Velvia product provides the High Saturation and Vivid color that has become a Favorite of Photographers. Velvia 50 will begin shipping in the summer of 2007. "

The reason for stopping the production was they where out of one of the materials used to make the film. They have since made a new material to replace the old one. You can actually get the new velvia 50's where I live. If you really need some, email: toto@antoniostasi.com

#8 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4317 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:42 AM

Jim -- You DEFINITELY got that Velvia look. Personally I like Velvia for landscapes and nature. Not so great for people pics. Dave -- Velvia is about a particular rendering designed to evoke a particular reaction to vivid color; it's not about just recording reality. For the latter, Kodachrome 64 or Astia would likely be a better choice. Don
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#9 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:39 AM

Yes Don, as I have said before these are consumer films for recording Aunt Elsie in less than perfect conditions, making it look like she was photographed during high summer on the Costa Brava rather than during a wet week in Manchester! The punters used to just just love such larger than life renditions which make their dull weather holiday snaps look as if they were taken in expensive exotic locations! Obviously a film designed for normal British weather, not sunnier climes! Probably the reason too that most consumer digital cameras are still set straight out of the box to produce more vivid colours than pro or prosumer ones. The colour rendition is biased to the market segment they are aimed at. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24017 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

One thing Velvia is considered a professional film by Fuji and is priced that way. Velvia is definitely not a consumer grade film. You will not find it listed under the consumer films on Fuji's website but under their professional line of products. Their consumer slide film is the Sensia line. Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#11 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15703 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

Yes, velvia was a pro film. Had it keep it cold or you would lose the color. It is NOT Ken rockrells version of saturation. It was landscaps becuase it had a very nice redering of grees. It had very littele affect on blue skies, but blue has green in it, some affect was noted, but not exterm. If you had velvia, and a poleriser, you could turn a reallu blue sky very dark, near a black blue. You had to be carefule. For Dave, didn't you say it was gray and raining over the pond? Velvia might make it look like sunny ol England again! ;-)

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#12 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4317 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

Velvia also makes macro greens GREEN (not yellow-green), and has a nearly perfect balance between boldness and subtlety. I'm just guessing here, but I think this is where the name "Velvia" comes from -- a reference to velvet. It intensifies color and emboldens it, but it certainly doesn't warm it up. If you shoot greens in Macro on a cloudy, rainy day, you will be more aware of the overcast with Velvia than with other less saturated films. It even makes silver clouds intensely silver without altering the color cast. Velvia is neither garish nor cartoonish to my eye. The old Agfa-50 print film was, to the point that it blocked up the reds pretty badly, but Velvia is not. To get this back to digital and Nik filters, do any of these packages have a set of curves that overtly mimic, say Velvia, Kodachrome 200, the old Provia 100 and other films. Now that K-200's days are past, I'd like to be able to get that same rendering in a digital camera. Even a set of charts that have the custom settings (curves, etc.) on them would work. Thx, Don
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#13 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

Dennis, It's alternating between rain showers and sunlight here. British traditional April showers. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

#14 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15703 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

You would have to check out nik... I don't remember very well, but I think they have. I know that Dox (dxo) has the kodacromes.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users