9 replies to this topic

#1 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:35 AM

I had my D850 order placed before 7:00 AM.  I'm excited about the new camera, features and capabilities.  Here's why.

Increased resolution

The D800E was jaw dropping - not just good.  I'm expecting a similar jump with the D850 and it's 46 MP.

AF Performance

Just as the D800E resolution was stunning, the AF accuracy of the D500 was stunning.  I had a 45% improvement of sharp in focus images (with fast moving targets) compared to my D800E and 30% improvement vs. the D810.  The D850 has the same AF system as the D500/D5 with a dedicated AF processor.  I know how it works and can get a lot out of  the AF system.  The AF system is probably the biggest benefit of this camera and pairs very well with higher resolution.

Frame Rate

The frame rate of the D500 makes a huge difference.  While it's not a problem often, there are situations where frame rate matters.  The D850 provides a nice step up with 7 fps, and I may or may not add the grip for an additional 2 fps.  But the option of 30 fps and 8 MP images is quite useful if you really need a high speed camera.  I've used that capability on the V1 and it can be very helpful.

Buffer

The buffer on the D850 is around 1.3 GB - the same as the D500 and much larger than on the D800E or D810.  That provides a 7.2 second burst - 51 images - before filling the buffer.  This will mean more when I am looking at a series of short bursts than a single burst.

XQD / SD UHS-II cards

I'm very pleased with the speed of the XQD cards.  This goes with the fast clearing of the buffer, but also means incredibly fast downloads.  The flexibility of an SD card slot is nice because XQD cards and card readers are Nikon and Sony specific and not widely found.

Focus Stacking support

The ability to create a burst of frames for focus stacking is a very nice improvement.  This was previously possible manually or using third party software and hardware (CamRanger) but the implementation sounds very nice.

Low ISO / High ISO Noise

Having base ISO 64 and Lo ISO 32 will be very useful for blurring water and other long exposure situations.  At the high end, ISO performance will be as good or better than anything Nikon has released.   Not a clear reason to purchase - but a nice benefit.

Video functionality

I don't shoot much video, but this camera seems built for exploring that capability.  The time lapse and slow motion video capability looks very nice.

I'm sure there are other benefits, but it was past time for an upgrade.  I'm not getting the grip for now.  I don't particularly like a larger grip, and the higher frame rate does not seem to justify a $960 expense for grip, battery, and charger.  I can rent a grip battery and charger if needed.  I have too many grips I don't use and won't buy another.

Edited by ericbowles, 26 August 2017 - 09:36 AM.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7222 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

Congrats on the purchase, Eric.

I can understand that extra batteries will be expensive, but doesn't the D850 come with a charger?  

As for the grip, now I know why the MB-D12 grip that I ordered through Amazon was so cheap!  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15275 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

The grip for the D850 is a different battery, it's the same one for the D4/4s/5. I have two, and was already planning on getting another set as mine are a bit old. I just for the sales. I have XQD cards and I have the battery charger.

I have been considering the Fuji GFX 50s. But, I wasn't really on board getting a new set of lenses.

The D850 has some nice features at about half the price, and I have the lenses.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21204 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

Congrats, Eric.
Will wait for a price drop before I jump on those!
Signature_Line_V4

#5 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

The grip for the D850 is a different battery, it's the same one for the D4/4s/5. I have two, and was already planning on getting another set as mine are a bit old. ....

The grip doesn't need a different battery.  It has a choice of three batteries.  The EN-EL15/a that is used in the camera, the EN-EL18/a/b that is used in the D4 & D5, or 6 AAs.  This is the same as the grip the D800.  It's only the EN-EL18 that requires an extra cost adapter and different charger.

This scheme of using the camera battery, or the bigger battery from the contemporary Dx body, or 6 AAs goes back at least to the D300/D700s and the D3.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#6 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7018 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

From what I read and understand, in order to get the increased frame rate you need to use the EN-EL18b/a battery. 

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#7 Gary Poole

Gary Poole

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

From what I read and understand, in order to get the increased frame rate you need to use the EN-EL18b/a battery. 

I agree that you can't get the faster frame rate with the EN-EL15 camera battery.  Not sure what would happen with 6 AA  batteries.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5

#8 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7018 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

I agree that you can't get the faster frame rate with the EN-EL15 camera battery.  Not sure what would happen with 6 AA  batteries.

I wondered about that too Gary. 

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#9 Blanco

Blanco

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Gundogs and fine doubles
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

I put my order in last night with B&H. Says it should ship early September.

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7222 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

I put my order in last night with B&H. Says it should ship early September.

Congrats, Blanco.  Looking forward to seeing pics!  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users