#1 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

Hi Guys,

My best friend in Australia, "Shuttabugger", (Scotty), who has not been posting for a while due to computer problems and going on 2 overseas fly fishing trips, one to NZ, the other at Kiribati, tough life being single I guess!  :(

With commitments, he may be "off air" till about June, we haven't lost him, just doing it tough at the moment,  :lol:

Anyway, down to business,

He was shown an AF Nikkor 300mm ED 2.8, supposably at a bargain price

Scotty soon discovered, his TC 1.4 II that he puts on his AF-S 300 f4 will not fit on the AF 300 2.8

Did Nikon make a TC to fit this AF lens?

Regards,

Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#2 BrianS

BrianS

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Photography, camera collecting, "Hobbyist-level" camera repair

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

I found this compatibility chart:

http://www.nikonsupp...ility-EN_01.pdf

and other references that you need to use a manual focus Teleconvertor and use the lens on manual-focus for lenses using the camera's AF motor. I guess Nikon did not want to put a drive shaft through the teleconvertor to a motorless AF lens.

Some people buy the OLD TC-16a and have it "chipped" to work with newer cameras. This was made for the N2020 through N8008s, allows use of manual focus lenses in AF mode. The Teleconvertor did the focusing for you. I have the even older TC-16AF for the autofocus version of the Nikon F3. Optically good. I also had a TC-16a when they were new.

Random Ebay Auction- selected for the photo's of the Af16a.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2589ba6be0

look for one that has been modified:

http://www.foolograp.../modify-tc-16a/

Edited by BrianS, 18 February 2014 - 02:30 PM.

Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5. And maybe 100 or so other Nikkor lenses. Maybe 60 of those are on Nikon cameras right now.

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21682 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

I find this issue puzzling. When I last spoke to a Nikon rep at a trade show about long lenses, he told me his recommended choice was ... 300mm f2.8 and the 1.4x TC. Seems odd it doesn't work, the Nikon guy said this was killer combo!
Signature_Line_V4

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15580 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

See the posted chart... The Nikon rep was talking about the latest 300/2.8, there are four.. AF, AF-I and AF-S (2 versions). Only the last three are comparable with the TC's. The newest AF-S 300/2.8 II is a killer combo with the TC's, as long as you have the latest TC's.

Edited by Dennis, 18 February 2014 - 01:58 PM.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 BrianS

BrianS

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts
  • Interests:Photography, camera collecting, "Hobbyist-level" camera repair

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

You also have to be careful which series TC you get. I have a TC14a, cannot be used on longer lenses which require the TC14b and is very different from a TC14e. 

This is what happens when you have the same mount since 1959 but have evolved it.

Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5. And maybe 100 or so other Nikkor lenses. Maybe 60 of those are on Nikon cameras right now.

#6 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

Thank for the heads up guys, much appreciated

Pretty much have a handle on it now, just have to establish which model

If I ever go for a lens of that focal length, I think AF-S will be the go, or a 400 like Arts

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users