9 replies to this topic

#1 PhilUK

PhilUK

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:16 AM

Hi, Hereís a somewhat hypothetical question, but only somewhat. Given a high quality lens such as the Nikon 300mm f4 and a sensor that is of such high resolution that it out resolves the lens, say a 54MP full frame sensor, would there be any point in using a teleconverter? My gut feeling is that there wouldnít, I donít believe teleconverters ever gain you image quality they just magnify a subsection of your normal view so it fills the sensor. I ask because the Nikon D7100 is effectively a 1.5 crop of a 54MP full frame sensor, in fact the D7000 is a 1.5 crop of a 36MP full frame sensor. It seems unlikely that there are any lenses that can deliver above this level of resolution. I say that because the general word Iíve seen on the D800 is there are only one or two of the very best prime lenses shot at less than f8 that allow its 36MP resolution to be fully achieved. So Iím postulating that if this is the case, thereís no benefit to using a teleconverter with this lens/camera combination, you might just as well crop the image after the event because any additional sensor resolution would be of no further benefit as it would be beyond the lenses resolving capability. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Art likes this

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21688 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

IMHO, you can never have too much glass or too much of the RIGHT glass. Even thought the crop factor is substantially better with more mp, the best images are the ones taken properly, with the right tools for the job. You are not going to get the same quality image with a 300mm lens heavily cropped, than you are going to get with a 600mm lens with little or no crop. As for a Teleconverter, they are an inexpensive way to get a little more reach with a very slight degradation in quality. Can't afford a 500mm lens? No problem, get a 1.7 and you will be very happy with the results, all things considered. Expect the same quality as a 500mm lens? Not a chance.
Signature_Line_V4

#3 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:30 PM

My 2c, My experience with the 1.7TC has been frustrating, the IQ has not been that good, apparently, the 1.4TC and 2TC, (from Nikon), are superb With any TC, and in particular, an f4 lens, you can struggle with AF, for example, a 300 f4 lens with a 1.4TC becomes a 300 f5.6 and a 2XTC, your looking at f8 and if you are into wildlife, you are always chasing shutter speed and reaching for high ISO to achieve that and a lot of sensors are very noisy at high ISO's IMHO, If you need the reach, start with a 1.4TC, you will find the IQ excellent, if you really need to reach even further I would go the 2xTC, especially the latest model, it also has excellent IQ, just remember, you will most probably be back to MF in low light, And, the 300 f4 has not got VR, yet! ;) Shuttabugga here uses a 300 f4 and 1.4TC with great success, great IQ, very sharp

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#4 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2761 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

I say that because the general word Iíve seen on the D800 is there are only one or two of the very best prime lenses shot at less than f8 that allow its 36MP resolution to be fully achieved.

I'll be sure to mention that to all the old cheap lenses I've taken wonderful pictures with on my D800E. I think that rumor was started by Nikon to sell more lenses. A sales gimmick, not reality. More pixels has just made my worse lenses that much better. Not the other way around. Pictures from my $5 80's era Sears lens are better from the d800e than they were from the D700 when downsized to 12mp to make it an apples to apples comparison. I also shoot outside in the real world, not in a lab.
D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21688 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

I agree with Arlon's observations. I too have found that images taken with my D800 have improved in IQ. I have read a number of posts where some have speculated the really high end mp sensors are going to kill zoom lens sales. Again, in my opinion, this is fantasy. At the end of the day, it still comes down to the best IQ. The best example I can give is like buying a Ferrari Testa Rossa and putting cheesy solid robber emergency tires you find as spares in most cars today. If you have a high powered camera, most likely, you will put the best gear you can afford on it. You won't be buying it to shoot all your images at 50mm, not using a TC, or selling off all your telephoto lens because you can super-crop.
Signature_Line_V4

#6 harleridr

harleridr

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:MOTOR SPORTS, TRAVEL, PHOTOGRAPHY

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

I too am thinking about a teleconverter, at this point in time I have a Tamron 28-300 3.5-6.3 with tamron's dedicated 1.4 extender I loose one f stop, I also have a Nikon f2.8 80-200 d ed and a 300 f4 to which I want to add a TC-14 either an A or B type.  According to Moose Peterson, in whom I have a lot of fath, not much quality, if any is lost with this combination. He has  quite a good book on the market called "The Nikon Systems Handbook" I have the sixth edition and find it very useful.

Harley

Nikon F5, 2-N90s, D70, D70s, D90, D5100, D7000 w/ MB-D11,
Nikon 300f4, 80-200 f2.8, 28-200 f3.5, 18-35 f3.5, 35-70 f2.8 MACRO,
DX18-55 f3.5, DX18-105 f3.5, DX55-300 f5.4, TC-14B
Sigma 105 f2.8 macro
Tamron 24-70 f3.3, 28-300 f3.5, 1.5, 2.0 extenders
Nikon ME1, Nikon GP-1, Nikon P600, Nikon Coolpix 5600 with u/water case,
Sony DV405 with u/water case
Bogen 3001 w/ 3160 head, Bogen 3001 w/ 804RC2 Head

#7 fermin

fermin

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Home Cinema, Music

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

I have the TC-20 from Nikon, used it on the 70-200/2.8 VR II. For me, the IQ is good enough:

Attached File  20140810-_DSC6113.jpg   590.24KB   0 downloads

D800, ISO 200, 70-200/f2.8 w/ TC-20E III @400mm, f/9, 1/640

Nikon D810

Nikon "Holy Trinity" 14-200/2.8, 105/2.8, AF-S 50/1.4, AF-D 85/1.8, Sigma 35/1.4 Art

FastPictureViewer, Lightroom with a gazillion plugins, Nik Collection and PhotoShop

Pics see my gallery here and some more at SmugMug.

#8 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

Nice work Fermin, excellent image!

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#9 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15585 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Taken with my 80-200/2.8 AF-S D and TC-20EII; 400mm. And a deep cropped in.

Attached File  _DS46142-2.jpg   152.19KB   0 downloads

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#10 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7317 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

I use a Nikkor 1.4-EII TC a lot. I've tried the 2.0 and was pretty impressed with it, but I don't own one. My son has a 1.7 that he uses often with the Nikkor 70-200 lens with good results. I use the 1.4 with my Nikkor 600 and 200-400 and I don't see much, if any degradation of image quality.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users