• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19614 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:05 AM

Today, I installed the Adobe Lightroom CC, not much time to play with it...but...zoom..zoom...fast on my older 2011 27in iMacer. I like this, keep all my 10K presets that were on my older LR. :P

Was playing Smooth Jazz DJ tonight but will check this baby out tomorrow.

More to come.. :rolleyes:  

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5340 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:49 AM

The more I use it the more I'm noticing just how much faster it is - about time mind you as Adobe have been promising a speed boost for ages.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#3 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19614 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:52 AM

Yes, agree 1000000000000%

My MacBook was always quick!

iMac was a bit bit slow but I dealt with it..

PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#4 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19614 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:53 AM

The more I use it the more I'm noticing just how much faster it is - about time mind you as Adobe have been promising a speed boost for ages.

What do u like best?

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6969 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

PJ, I assume that you're talking about the new Lightroom CC, as opposed to Classic CC?

I understand the general difference between the new Lightroom CC and the Classic CC?  What I'm not sure about is the strategy behind it; or the pricing.

Creative Cloud is now telling me that I have updates for PS and Lightroom Classic CC.  It also tells me that I can install Lightroom CC.  Is this a trial or a deal for existing subscribers?  Usually, Adobe says that I can "try" new apps, so this is a bit different.  I thought this cost another $10 USD per month.  

If Adobe is just pushing more cloud storage, then I'm going to disappoint them.  We've already incorporated Dropbox into our personal, business and photography workflows.  And, as the old saying goes:  If it ain't broke.....  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15020 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

So, some of my thoughts so far.

Before classic. I could import from my camera into LR. Work on it in both LR and PS. Put a collection into the cloud, see it on my phone or tablet. All for $10 a month. I called adobe and asked them how much space do I have to share with my phone/tablet. Unlimited he said. And for the most part, it seemed ture. But, the most I might had had at any given time was about 10gigs.

Now with clasic. I still have LR and PS, both have been updated. I can load LRCC app on my desktop and the workflow is still the same. I have NOT loaded LRCC app on my desktop as adobe hasn't answered my question, more later. All this for $10/month. Except for one detail, I have a limit of 20gigs. It now shows me how much I'm using, currently 5gigs, and my limit is 20gigs. If I want more, for $14/month ($19/m after a year) if I want to up that to 1TB.

The difference between the two LR's is, one is cloud based, and one is file based. Classic is the old LR we have been using for 10 odd years, and uses your file system to catalog with. LRCC is a cloud base, that will upload your raw files into the cloud, and is cloud based, your catalog is in the clouds.You all get their new cloud tool that lets you search for things in your images, so keywording would not be needed.

I asked adobe, can you use both at the same time? No answer, yet. Here is why, my image database with catalog is over 1TB, so I would have to sign up for 2TB/month to push it out to the cloud, all for the low cost of $29.95/month. They don't have cost figure yet for 3 or 4TB. 

I'm not going to use the LRCC app on my desktop, I don't need it as LR classic does what I need. So, $10/m.

I currently backup my stuff to offline disk. I looked into online backups, but when you go over 1TB is gets costly. 2TB at other companies is about the same cost as adobe.

When adobe split LR 4 years ago, they said there will be a perpetual license version. No longer true, no LR 7 and LR 6 will get it's last updated on Oct 26. So, now they split LR again. Just how long will it take for the desktop version to go buh-bye? I figured the unlimited space for free would go away, or there was going to be a cost. But, I didn't think that adobe would push you into a cloud based service. 

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23389 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

Oh no I want my stuff on my hard drive! So reading this I can stay with classic CC vs changing to the new could based correct. If I am forced to the cloud I am going with Macphun full time period.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15020 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:21 PM

Yes, right, you can just keep classic. Besides, adobe promises to keep two Lightrooms going. Like, you know, LR6.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#9 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8320 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:30 AM

Matt K had a nice piece on the difference.  Classic is more for us DSLR shooters who take LOTS of pictures.  The new CC if for phone/tablet shooters.  I'm loading Classic.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6969 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:28 PM

I've seen and heard enough.  I particularly don't appreciate the sneaky way that Adobe invites users to install the new version; then tries to ding them for $10 USD per month; then uninstalls EVERYTHING if they change their mind.

As a happy Dropbox user, I'll install LR Classic CC and leave it at that.  :rolleyes:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#11 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23389 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

I've seen and heard enough.  I particularly don't appreciate the sneaky way that Adobe invites users to install the new version; then tries to ding them for $10 USD per month; then uninstalls EVERYTHING if they change their mind.

As a happy Dropbox user, I'll install LR Classic CC and leave it at that.  :rolleyes:

Agree 100%. I have not updated yet since I have been super busy but I will do it when I have a quiet moment.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#12 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19614 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:25 AM

Okay, my confusion has temporarily been silenced..but still wondering why my MacBook as me to install the Lightroom CC after I had installed Classic. Yes I have an iPhone 8+ and an iPad Pro and don't know if I want all these CC and CC Classic everywhere. I am okay with cloud storage but confused now.

Hmmm, more reading and I am gonna call Adobe LR CC Plus CC37, customer assistance and every one else to figure out what the h*ll is going on. Been with LR since 2006 along with OD and $10 is okay not $29 or some other $$$$ number.

Thanks family..

New Wed update .. to find out which LR I need to use.

:angry:

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#13 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23389 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

Classic Jazz unless you want all your RAW files in the cloud. My understanding is the new LRCC is total cloud based the classic is essentially what you have been using the past couple years.

Adobes naming is real confusing not sure what the marketing people were thinking and why they didnt do a better job preparing its customer base.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#14 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8320 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

I am very happy with the Classic.  I really don't see why they created the new CC, but then I don't take photos with my phone...  just snap shots.  It does look like a money grab.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#15 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19614 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:40 PM

As said, have the devices to do the CC work (iPhone 8+ and iPad Pro) but don't want to pay any additional funds as I use the Classic and Photoshop weekly.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#16 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6969 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

PJ, here's a nice, short overview.  Just ignore his hairdo.  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#17 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5340 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:03 AM

I am very happy with the Classic.  I really don't see why they created the new CC, but then I don't take photos with my phone...  just snap shots.  It does look like a money grab.

I take photographs with my phone nearly every day so for me the way it integrates seamlessly with my Lightroom library on my computer is amazing. I am absolutely thrilled Adobe created this way of working and wouldn't want to go back to the old fashioned way of importing images.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#18 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6969 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

I take photographs with my phone nearly every day so for me the way it integrates seamlessly with my Lightroom library on my computer is amazing. I am absolutely thrilled Adobe created this way of working and wouldn't want to go back to the old fashioned way of importing images.

Robin, from what I've read, the new CC is designed for users like you.  I say go for it.

I don't think that I will install it because I only use my phone when I really want the shot, and my camera isn't available.  For the images that I really like, exporting them to Dropbox is easy.  When I get home, I can either import directly into LR from Dropbox; or transfer the image to my iMac, then import.  Whatever tickles my fancy.  ;)

As I write on this subject, I'm starting to realize that Dropbox is a major factor.  If I wasn't using that, I'd be more inclined to install and use the new CC.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#19 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19614 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:38 AM

Cool..so do I. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#20 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19614 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:48 AM

PJ, here's a nice, short overview.  Just ignore his hairdo.  :lol:

Thanks Sal....this is my homeboy..a Philly Guy. 

Okay, my answer is answered..gonna do the $19.99 as I will be using all of them as I do use them when doing work for three jobs monthly. I just invested in the iPad Pro and iPhone 8+. Will keep you posted on my travels down CC or Classic or CC Classic Lane... :huh:

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#21 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19614 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:50 AM

As said, have the devices to do the CC work (iPhone 8+ and iPad Pro) but don't want to pay any additional funds as I use the Classic and Photoshop weekly.

Answers Answered....will update at the moment to use all of them. Thanks family.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users