#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7405 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

Sorry, folks.  I guess this is one topic that won't go away.

I finally decided to try tethering to LR on my windows laptop.  Now has Windows 10.

The good news is that I have successfully sent a test image directly from the camera to a selected folder on the laptop.  I just used a USB 3.0 cable to connect the camera to the laptop.  Went into LR and set tethering to capture.  It asked me to set a file, to send images to.  Even let me trigger the camera from within LR.  Even better, the image immediately shows in LR.

The bad news is that I wanted to be able to see Live View on the laptop.  :angry:   When I was watching the Creative Live course, they were showing a big screen image of what the camera was seeing in Live View.  That's what I would find useful.  So what am I doing wrong?  Should I have been using the HDMI port on the camera?  Is there a different LR setting that I should have been using?  Or am I trying to do something that is simply not possible?  <_<

Folks, many thanks in advance, for any light that you can shed on this.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

I don't think the Nikon allows it, via the USB. You can check that by just connecting the USB cable and not to a computer, and live view won't engage. I din't think about trying the HDMI, so I don't know if that will work. Most folks use a differant software for the tethering, and then setup lightroom to watch the folder. While I had some downtime for the take your kids to work, I was trying live view, didn't work.

An unrelated thing about tethering. I had a control lighting, and I was printing out the results. I took a controlled shot, did a few tweaks in lightroom to make sure the print comes out good. I then created a preset based on those tweaked. In the tether bar, you can choose a preset. I set it to my "tethered preset" and all the images came out perfect.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7405 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:04 AM

Hi Dennis,

My experience suggests that you're right about trying this via USB.  Live View wouldn't engage when the cable was in the port.

I haven't tried HDMI myself, although DD's book has a section.  Going to have to read more closely before I try.

Do you know what software other folks are using?

The funny thing is that Nikon Canada offers something called Camera Control Pro 2, on it's web site, for the modest sum of $224.  :o   This would do exactly what I had in mind.  However, it's only compatible with the D3, D300, D700 and D90.  Methinks it is just a wee bit out of date.   :angry: I can see why Art gets ticked off at Nikon Canada from time to time. 

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

Well, here is a good link; http://terrywhite.co...ghtroom-mobile/

I think most options are going to cost about the same. Nikons control pro 2 is one. There is camranger; http://camranger.com/

Some more info here; http://terrywhite.co...4-via-ethernet/

I'm still researching. I want to go wireless, but I would need a laptop, and at the moment I don't have a working one.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7405 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

Thanks, Dennis.  Not quite what I had in mind when I asked the question, but this is all fantastic learning.  :D  :D

None of this stuff is cheap, is it?  :)

I took a quick look at all of your links.  That's what I had in mind.  Now just have to figure out where this fits on my "nice to have" or "need to have" list.

For now, I just might get cheeky and shoot tethered to my iMac.   :D  I have the compatible extension cable.  I'll back burner this until we get back from holidays.  

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, bit on the pricy side. Sounds like s plan.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7405 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

Hi Dennis,

Cheekiness works!  No problems shooting tethered to the iMac.   :)   This may not sound very practical, but my desk and the iMac are close enough to my work area, to permit tethered shooting when mounted on a tripod.  Further, while I don't have Live View, I can review the image on a quality monitor (my Windows laptop fails that requirement).  Finally, the image is directly sent to the desired directory.

Lack of Live View is the only downside.  However, it does work on the camera LCD even if the USB 3.0 cable is plugged into the camera port.  It only deactivates when that cable is plugged into an A/V extension that is connected to a computer.  That isn't always a problem.  If I'm shooting hand held, I use the view finder, not Live View.  

Lack of Live View matters only when I'm using a tripod.  The work around for that would appear to be to not connect the two cables when I'm composing; then connect once I'm ready to shoot.  True, it isn't pretty, but it might be a good compromise until I'm ready to shell out more $ for something like camranger.

BTW, if anyone sees a flaw in my logic, I won't be offended if you tell me.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

I'm holding off getting camrange for cost. Not enough work right now to justify the cost. My studio is in the basement and my desktop is up on the main floor in my office. Go here, the link is for the D4 but you can find the one for yours. 15ft or 6ft cables and get the jerkstopper.

https://www.tetherto...6m-gold-plated/

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users