• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:04 PM

Can LR be used as the default program to transfer photos directly from your camera? Or will I still need View NX2 for this? I haven't purchased LR6 yet.

Thanks.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15015 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

Yes, you can import from your card directly into Lightroom.

Decide how you want to store your images first. For, example, into a subdirectory labeled by subjected, under a main folder called, pictures. Mine is called, image database.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8320 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

There are many different methods for organization.  I import directly from the camera allowing the program to copy to my pictures folder.  I file and name by date with a sequential number.  When you import there is a keywording function that allows you to search later for all pictures of the same subject.  For me a typical series of bird entries would be keyworded,  birds, hawks, Redtailed Hawk, home(for location), male/female, etc.  Key words can be added after import as well.  I have been using LR since beta 1 and have been pleased with the results I have gotten.  I have recently started using Photoshop, but still start and return to LR.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#4 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5340 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:23 AM

Another neat trick with Lightroom is you can import to two folders at once so you can create a backup right at import before anything else happens or any fiddling has been done. 

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#5 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

Lightroom has a good import function but you need to watch the settings.

It's best to maintain a logical file and folder structure that works with or without LR.  Many people copy images to their computer and then ingest to LR as a separate step.  I name the folder and rename files at download.  You can do the same thing and apply keywords using LR.

I don't think View is a good option long term.  It is going away.  the replacements are okay, but not as good as LR.  LR is very intuitive and powerful, but it works best if you commit to it.  You'll slow your learning curve if you try to keep using two products.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6967 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

Apple has set up a pictures directory, separate from documents.  Windows does pretty much the same thing.  Within the pictures directory, I have a folder for each year, with sub folders for each month.  I always import directly into LR from a memory card.  LR allows me to create a custom file name that also uses the number sequencing from the camera.  Of course, if I import images for the same subject from a different camera, I might want to tweak the name, to prevent stuff from being accidentally overwritten. 

LR is my go-to program, with PS for more advanced editing.  I've been using it for a few years, but only recently learned that I can save Lens Corrections as a user preset that can being applied during image import.  :)

I agree with Eric, about using 2 products. 

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users