#1 Peter S.

Peter S.

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Hi All, 

I'm at the point where I am strongly considering upgrading from my D3100 to the D7000.  I have learned alot from my D3100 and have been operating exclusively in full manual for the past 2 years.  I have grown tired of the low light performance, and specifically the large gap from 800 ISO to 1600 ISO, where picture quality goes from good to atrocious.  

Playing with a D7000 and talking to other owners, it sounds like there is no way to set a shortut to change ISO?  When I am in full manual on my D3100, the thumbwheel is of course shutter speed, the exposure compensation button is depressed to change aperture, and I use the function button with my left thumb to access ISO and use the thumbwheel to adjust.  I love this set up because I do not have to pull my face away from the eyepiece.

So is there a similar way to set up the D7000?  Granted, I will now have a dedicated aperture wheel - very exciting!  But the ISO button on the back means I have to shift hand positions.  But, I'm told you have to use the up/down pad to change ISO??  

Please tell me these other owners just don't know better.  There has got to be a way to change ISO on the fly!?

BODY
Nikon D7000

LENSES
NIKKOR 17-55mm f/2.8G ED AF-S DX
NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX
NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G AF-S

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15674 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

I haven't played with my wife's D7000 much, but you do press the ISO button on the back, However, you turn the back wheel to change the ISO, even in manual mode. It does well at high ISO, I have not pushed it passed 1600, here is one at 1600 that I didn't have to apply noise correction;

Attached File  Relay two-1.jpg   183.31KB   1 downloads

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 Peter S.

Peter S.

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

That looks great Dennis compared to the D3100, the noise at 1600 is not distracting at all.  The D3100 is terrible!  Great camera to learn on, but definitely time to move on.

I would rather not be pushing a button on the back.  I feel like I should be able to use my thumbs and pointer fingers to adjust any exposure-modifying setting while I am in a shooting position.  I understand that changing ISO should not be frequent during a shoot, but sometimes when you're on the edge of an ISO, it is nice to be able to quickly flip back and forth due to the fact that an angle can change your exposure criteria.  

BODY
Nikon D7000

LENSES
NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G AF-S

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15674 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Well, Clif can explain more, he uses that camera a lot. But, I'm sure you can program the function button to be the ISO, just like you did for the D3100. It is near the shutter on the right, so it can be reach easily.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Peter S.

Peter S.

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Well, Clif can explain more, he uses that camera a lot. But, I'm sure you can program the function button to be the ISO, just like you did for the D3100. It is near the shutter on the right, so it can be reach easily.

That's what I thought too, but if you go into set the function button, ISO sensitivity is not an option.  I was a bit shocked.

BODY
Nikon D7000

LENSES
NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G AF-S

#6 Curve_in

Curve_in

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, K1100RS, Campagnolo

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

You could assign a iso to U1 and U2 but that still would mean using your left hand to change it.
Kervin
D7000 + D750
SB-28 * SB-600
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S * Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR * Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AIS Manual Focus * Sigma 24mm f/1.8 * Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set
Sony NEX5 + 16/2.8 + 18-55/3.5-5.6

Carsandkites on Flickr

#7 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#8 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1948 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Donna...that is how I have my D7100 set up

Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#9 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

One thing to remember is the D7000 has a top lcd which you don't have now and you will find using that to 'see' the changes you're making very intuitive - even if you do have to move the camera from your eye.

Also it has amazing Auto ISO capabilities and a better metering system so you won't have to use manual all the time.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#10 Peter S.

Peter S.

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Donna, I saw that in my search for an answer, but he doesn't state that you can change the ISO w/ a thumbwheel.  It still sounds to me as if you need to use the thumbpad.  If someone can confirm w/ a D7000, I would very much appreciate it.  

BODY
Nikon D7000

LENSES
NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G AF-S

#11 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8381 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

Robin hit the method I use.  Auto ISO.  You can use either Aperture, Shutter or Manual functions and ISO will move up and down as needed.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#12 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

With my D7100, I leave the ISO on auto.

I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#13 Peter S.

Peter S.

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

Robin hit the method I use.  Auto ISO.  You can use either Aperture, Shutter or Manual functions and ISO will move up and down as needed.

Well, I have ordered my D7000, it'll be here Monday.  What are the criteria for auto ISO?  Does it increase at a minimum shutter speed?  Can it be modified?  Does it affect bracketing?  

I'm sure I can figure this out once I receive the camera, but it would be great to know before hand.  Either way, I thank you all for the info.  

BODY
Nikon D7000

LENSES
NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G AF-S

#14 mvlow

mvlow

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

I just checked this on my D7000 and D7100. You can change a setting so the rear command dial will change ISO in Aperture Priority, and the front command dial will change ISO when using Shutter Priority, and Program modes without having to press the ISO button.  Unfortunately you cannot use this feature when in manual mode.

To set this up, go to your menu, Custom Setting Menu, d3 ISO display and adjustment. From the choices, select "Show ISO/Easy ISO"

Your rear command dial will now change ISO in Aperture Priority and your front command dial will change ISO in Shutter Priority without having to press the ISO button.  

If you have Darrell's Mastering the Nikon D7000 book, you can find the instructions on Page #168-169.

#15 Peter S.

Peter S.

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

I appreciate the response.  I like to operate in full manual, and unfortunately the auto-ISO feature essentially takes the light metering out of my hands.  So I can change aperture and shutter speed all I want, but it really is a moot point since auto-ISO will change the ISO so the light is metered how the camera thinks it should be.  

I just have to accept the fact there is no quick button ISO change.  Very disappointing.  But, I am loving the D7000 besides this.  Great quality shots at higher ISOs, and such a good feel and response.  

BODY
Nikon D7000

LENSES
NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G AF-S

#16 mvlow

mvlow

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

You can adjust Auto ISO and set a minimum shutter speed and maximum sensitivity.  For example you could set it so that it will not allow the shutter speed to drop below 1/60 second.  Once the light diminishes so the camera wants a slower shutter speed than 1/60 second it will begin bumping up the ISO automatically to keep the shutter sped at that minimum setting. 

If you don't want the ISO to go over a certain ISO, say 1600 ISO for example, you can set maximum sensitivity to 1600.

This can be found on page #106 - 112 in Darrel's Master your Nikon D7000 book.

#17 Peter S.

Peter S.

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

mvlow, I didn't have any problems setting up auto-ISO, my issue is that it really takes the control of full manual out of your hands.  The ISO will change so that the light metering is 0.0, according to the camera.  This negates any shutter speed adjustment you may make.  

BODY
Nikon D7000

LENSES
NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G AF-S

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users