#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5971 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

Nikon Rumours has lots of info, these days.

https://nikonrumors....omparison.aspx/

Interesting the writer summarized the test settings, but didn't bother summarizing the results.  Sorry, I'm too busy to magnify every one of those images.

Fly at it!  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22335 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

Strange they went with the E version vs the more recent 810. Will have to look at them when I get home the monitor at work is really bad.

Jim

Thanks for posting.

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19187 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:51 PM

Took a quick look and the D850 is better but a more intriguing test would have been comparing it to the D810!

Thanks for the link, Mark.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#4 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9706 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography and travel

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

Beats me why they don't compare the D850 with the D810 but my guess is that the difference is more emphasised when compared to a D800E.

:wacko:

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#5 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:14 PM

It looks to me that luminance noise is about the same, but color noise is a lot better in the D850.

I'm at the point where I don't really expect to see much improvement in ISO.  There just is not much room left from a theoretical standpoint.  Nikon cameras since the D3s have all been pretty close.  It's not the primary reason you'll buy any of these cameras.

Here is the D850 vs. D810 comparison.

https://nikonrumors....ed-online.aspx/

Edited by ericbowles, 02 September 2017 - 02:32 PM.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19187 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for the link, Eric.

Looks like an improvement at the higher end, which is nice.

But, the D810 is a formidable challenger.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14153 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

I think it really depends on what you have and what you shoot. If you're a; landscape, portrait, product shooter. There will be a flood of D810's in the used market. Then add wildlife, and there will be a flood of D500's as well.

It is really features that would make a decision for the D850. I have a D4, and a D200 that I still use. I have made large prints, 20x24. I make made prints in the feet for a client, 5x7 feet from the D4. What I like of the features set is the focus stacking, the time lapse, D5 AF and a few other things.

But, is it worth the money to go for the D850, or more effective for me to wait on the flood. And that comes back to what I want to shoot.

All these samples are coming from hand picked pros that can get the best out of their equipment no matter what they are doing. The thing I hear from them is that: "it will simplify my work flow". It's a well rounded camera. So, again, features. Not really anything with the sensor performance.

This is still a wait and see what the real world use will be.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5971 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

It looks to me that luminance noise is about the same, but color noise is a lot better in the D850.

I'm at the point where I don't really expect to see much improvement in ISO.  There just is not much room left from a theoretical standpoint.  Nikon cameras since the D3s have all been pretty close.  It's not the primary reason you'll buy any of these cameras.

Here is the D850 vs. D810 comparison.

https://nikonrumors....ed-online.aspx/

Thanks for posting the direct comparison, Eric.

I can't comment on how things should work, beyond ISO 12,800.  I use ISO 12,800 on my D810, to shoot hand-held in buildings (i.e. churches) with very low light and in museums where tripods aren't allowed.  Yes, I get noise, but nothing that can't be quickly resolved in LR or Nik's Define.  It allows me to get away with b****y murder. ;) 

I'll leave the decision to upgrade or wait, to individuals.  I'm really looking forward to hearing the feedback from the folks who have already ordered.  Glass and other stuff are still my top priorities, but a win for Nikon is a win for all of us.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#9 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

One of the differences is the D850 seems to have much better processing of noise at high ISO levels.  That works well for JPEGs and video where you don't have the benefit of handling noise in post.  In the past, you could not process out the noise in the camera, but you largely can with the D850.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users