#1 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Some fast, some slow....

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

Hi folks, I've been out of circulation for while, simply been overwhelmed at work. Moving an entire university department into a new building in the middle of term (semester) is not any easy task! I've seen a lot of good images in the forum when I've had chance to have a quick glance, I'll get around to having a proper look tomorrow and write some replies....... In the meantime here is a shot of a Goldfinch taken when I last managed to pick up my camera a couple of weeks ago. Techs: D200, 200-400VR@400mm, 1/200sec@f5.6, ISO 200 Attached File  goldfinch.jpg   178.74KB   14 downloads

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23640 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

Wow great shot but not what I expected. I read the caption to quick and thought it said goldfish, I left the room and there was the finch when I came back, I had to click back to see what I was doing. Love the color and sharpness this is very nice. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7048 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

Paul, this is a beautiful bird. I was in the same boat as Jim, not expecting to see what I saw. Nothing like our Goldfinch. A spectacular beauty though. I know you've been busy at work, thanks for posting. Do you have any side views of this bird?

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#4 Karen

Karen

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • Interests:Nature, wildlife and macro photography, reading, hiking, backpacking, camping, dog and bird training

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

Paul, this bird is gorgeous and you did a beautiful job capturing such an image! The colors are spectacular and so is everything else about it! Jim and Don, you just crack me up! Goldfish!
{any and all comments are welcome}

~Karen

#5 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for the comments folks. Goldfish......I thought I was bad sometimes! :D Sorry, no side shots as yet Ron, this is another bogey bird for me, though common in the UK it's one of those birds I've never managed to get a decent shot of. As a result I have to confess that this is the most heavily photoshop manipulated image I've ever produced in an effort to have at least one viewable shot of it. Aside from the usual crop, contrast, saturation, resize and sharpen I never normally mess around with my images. I usually take the view that if I have to spend more than five minutes working on an image I should stop because I know I've messed up the bit that matters i.e. taking the image in the first place. This shot is the act of a desperate man, it's actually a digital blend of two manipulated raw files. Though I think it's nowhere near as good a shot as it might be I'm rather suprised it turned out as well as it did given the original exposure. Paul

#6 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:56 AM

Getting worried now! After seeing slight pixelation on my monitor on one of Louis's bird pictures I now have a lot of pixelation on Paul's shot. Help!! Just checked out some other images on the "Planet" like George Dingwall's daffodils on the macro site and these are perfect on my monitor, as are those I posted in the past, can somebody explain? I only seem to be getting this problem on the Wildlife forum. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#7 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:29 AM

Getting worried now! After seeing slight pixelation on my monitor on one of Louis's bird pictures I now have a lot of pixelation on Paul's shot. Help!!

Just checked out some other images on the "Planet" like George Dingwall's daffodils on the macro site and these are perfect on my monitor, as are those I posted in the past, can somebody explain? I only seem to be getting this problem on the Wildlife forum.

Dave Whiteley

Dave, oddly enough I'm sure I noticed pixelation on an image of yours recently. I didn't really pay it any attention at the time apart from thinking 'that's a bit strange'. The pixelation was odd because it was quite large in appearance.......I'll see if I can track the image down again, perhaps we should start a thread to discuss and try to pin the issue down...

Paul

Found it, the shot of the fly here -> http://www.planetnik...?showtopic=4218 is massively pixelatated in on my monitor......I've just had a look at Louis's images and they look fine.

Edited by Epideme, 18 March 2007 - 06:36 AM.

#8 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

Paul, Just taken a picture of my screen with the camera, which is a bit hard as you get numerous other lines that don't show up in the viewfinder due to the eye's accomodation. Also your picture looks very contrasty and oversaturated as you will see from my screen shot which has gained a bit in contrast etc but is not too far off what I am seeing:- Attached File  Pixels1.jpg   130.42KB   19 downloads My screen is only around 3 weeks old and is a Dell High Resolution 24" flat panel one. I am no computer buff but I have read these type of screens are best left set at their native resolution, which I presume the makers have set it for. I am only getting this problem on a few pictures, otherwise others look great, including most of yours and Louis's. Louis's picture was not nearly as bad with only a few of the large pixel blocks on the birds beaks. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

#9 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:37 AM

Ahhh....now this is what I was seeing on your fly shot, not quite as bad but very noticable......most peculiar....it's almost as if it's zoomed in to much. My Dell 17" FP runs at 1280X1024 and the video card is set to run at the same resolution (GeForce 7800GTX) in 32Bit colour. Is your screen resolution set at the monitor resolution? If not, give it a try. Paul

#10 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

I am a computer idiot Paul, I usually run to a customer who was a Computer Programmer if I have problems. So where do I find the information you suggest? The computer invoice tells me I have a:- "Graphics Card Single 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7900GS (2xDVI, 1xS-Video) output." Which is all Greek to me! I have just checked the fly on my monitor and not a trace of pixelation Paul! Queer is it not, one of us getting it with one image and the other with a different image, but most evidently not getting it at all! Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

#11 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

Hang on Dave...I'll be back shortly with some screen shots and a walk through....

Edited by Epideme, 18 March 2007 - 09:20 AM.

#12 Karen

Karen

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts
  • Interests:Nature, wildlife and macro photography, reading, hiking, backpacking, camping, dog and bird training

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

While I see the enlarged pixels on the finch on Dave's screen, I don't see anything odd in anyone's images. Both the finch and fly look good on my cheap, old, uncalibrated-to-my-knowledge monitor. However, I'm curious as to what you guys are experiencing and why. Do you guys see this pixelation in any other images and before this time?

~Karen

#13 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

Ok, here we go..... First thing is the monitor itself. On my Dell there is a menu button which when pressed pops up a menu for adjustments. On mine the monitor resolution is displayed at the bottom. This is normally set at the ideal by the manufacturer, if it is the 2407WFP 24-inch (?) then this would be 1920x1200 pixels. To access the properties for the video resolution the easiest way is to right click on a clear area of desktop (Fig 1.) and then click on 'Properties' Fig 1. Attached File  properties.jpg   10.49KB   20 downloads This will bring up the 'Display Properties' dialog box (fig 2.), clicking on the 'settings' tab and you should see the info as displayed in Fig 2. Fig 2. Attached File  properties2.jpg   43.53KB   15 downloads Set the 'screen resolution' to match your monitor resolution and 'colour quality' to the highest setting (probably 32bit). Click 'OK' and just follow the very simple instructions that follow. Paul PS. Karen, Dave's fly image is the only one I've ever seen on this and other forums that had pixelation. It may be a simple video driver issue.......we shall see!

#14 Karen

Karen

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:05 AM

Interesting. I set all of this 'years ago' when I got the monitor and haven't messed with it since. Mine is not set to the maximum resolution that my monitor is capable of, but bec I'm not having an issue, I think I'll leave it alone...smile. I hope you figure this out, Dave. Let us know what happens.

~Karen

#15 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7048 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

I'm not getting the pixelation my monitor even at high expansions for whatever it's worth.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#16 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23640 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

Paul how do I know what mine is supposed to run at. I have a dell E173FP, Intel graphics card 82865g running at 1280x1024 at 60hz. I am assumming now some of the JPEG pixilation I see is I have been running at a much lower resolution at 1040x768. I have always done the lower to have larger print I guess what I was used to, the full ress makes things seem small but I would trade off some size for better performance. Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#17 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

Hi Jim - the native resolution of the E173FP is 1280 x 1024. You can run them a lower resolutions but by doing this you sometimes don't get good results out of them. Most of the time there are not any problems in running at different resolutions on the monitor and video, however, in some cases at work I've found that depending on the screen type and video card type strange things can happen. The problems nearly always relate to a mismatch of resolutions and the ability of the windows video card drivers to deliver the goods, at lot of the time this is due to video drivers not being updated to keep pace with the operating system updates. Paul

#18 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23640 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:51 AM

Paul you are a Hero man! I changed the resolution and went back to all the pics I thought had some JPEG artifact etc now it wasn't alot but still and presto they are all so crisp and even yours above which I thought was great looks better. You my friend are a rocket or at least a monitor man! Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#19 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for the information Paul, I will do that later after I watch the F1 Australian Grand Prix. I did have pixelation on another site with a computer running a CRT monitor and I think that was cured by setting a higher screen resolution. I would have expected Dell to have set all this up though when they dispatched it. Jim, I think you can set standard text size in Windows independent of the screen resolution, so if you up the resolution and the text shrinks for e-mails or posts to the "Planet" etc you can enlarge it again. Just don't ask me how though! Dave Whiteley.
Nikon D200

#20 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

Paul you are a Hero man! I changed the resolution and went back to all the pics I thought had some JPEG artifact etc now it wasn't alot but still and presto they are all so crisp and even yours above which I thought was great looks better. You my friend are a rocket or at least a monitor man! Jim

Excellent, glad to help Jim. Dave, hope you meet with the same success..

Paul

#21 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

Paul, my monitor is the:-

"FP/BL - UK/Irish Wide Flat Panel 2407FPW 24" (TC099) Ultrasharp (DVI-D) Black" to give it the full invoice definition, which I think is what you said, although you called it "WFP"? I presume therefore everything should be set to 1920 x 1200 resolution so I will have to check later.

Don't know what has happened Paul, but all your new pic's are now pixelating to some extent on my monitor, but previous ones did not, could the monitor settings drift off of their own accord, or could some of the automatic Windows Vista updates I sometimes get have changed it?

When I right click on the desktop Paul I don't get Properties in Vista. A similar menu comes up to your's but instead of Properties it say's Personalise! However I tried that and the monitor settings come up. I set them to your highest recommended settings (1920 x 1200), the text on screen was minute and I still got pixelation on all your recent images. I have reset the resolution to 1360 x 786 which seems the best compromise for readable text size and is still greater than the monitor was originally set to.

Just checked your old posts Paul and I get no pixelation on those, so what has changed?

http://www.planetnik...?showtopic=4242

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

#22 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

Hi Dave - sorry for the delay. I'm stuck in work at the moment, I'll get back to you this evening. I've had an idea to what is happening but need to run a bit of an experiment with you just to check out the theory, it just involves you looking at a couple of images that I'll create later today...... Paul

#23 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

I have asked Dell to have a look and try and sort me out also Paul. Dave Whiteley.
Nikon D200

#24 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:42 PM

Hi Dave, take a look at the two images below and let me know if none, one or both are pixelated. I'm very curious to see what happens! Paul Pic 1. Attached File  normprocess.jpg   192.73KB   14 downloads Pic 2. Attached File  newprocess.jpg   185.82KB   19 downloads

#25 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Paul,

Both are perfect, sharp where in focus, and appear identical with no signs of large block pixelation. But what is even more curious is I have changed nothing yet the block pixelation has now disappeared from your original Goldfinch image!

Dell has left me an e-mail on the computer because I was out at work saying they will try and contact me tomorrow to rectify things. It will be interesting to see what their answer is.

Just checked Louis's old post and the large block pixelation has now disappeared from that too! I wonder if the feed from my ISP could have caused it?

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

#26 Epideme

Epideme

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

Well, curiouser and curiouser as the saying goes......It will be interesting to see what Dell has to say. Paul

#27 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23640 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

Dave I wonder if you ISP runs some kind of acceleration software, this can cause this. A friend of mine has DSL and they have an acceleration level to make it faster but it causes JPEG like artifact so he turns off the accelerator. Hmm as Paul said, changing the resolution worked like a charm for me. Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#28 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:13 AM

I am running Tiscali's software accelerator Jim because I am still on dial-up. However I am still running it and have not changes it's settings but the blocking has now disappeared. I was racking my brains to think of anything I have done that could have made the problem dissapear. The only thing I can think of is the other day I ran the Disk Defragmenter. Whether this cured something that got corrupted I do not know because I get automatic downloads for my anti-virus plus security patches for Vista. I suppose any of these could have upset something, but would defragmenting put it right? Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users