• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21334 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:18 PM

Finally got out to Canadian Raptor Conservancy again! What a great day.  Went with friend and fellow photographer, Andrew Pitre, we had a great afternoon.

It was, however, cold, rainy at times and even some small amounts of Lake effect snow.  Didn't deter us.

One of my Eagle shots, this is Bruce, he is slowly replacing Sammy at the CRC.  This bird loves to fly.

Attached File  Eagle-(1000px)_1.jpg   211.54KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7295 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:30 PM

Nice shot, Art.  

The birds have names?  :huh:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15335 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:38 PM

Well done. You tempt me to drive up there.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

Nice shot, Art.  

The birds have names?  :huh:

Yes.

Mark, meet Bruce. :P
Signature_Line_V4

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

Well done. You tempt me to drive up there.

Resistance is futile!
Signature_Line_V4

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5160 posts
  • Interests:Photography, plastic model cars, darts, drag racing, hiking

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:02 PM

Super shot Art! Jeff
[font=Arial][size=1]
Nikon D300
Nikon D200
18-70 Nikkor 3.5-4.5 G
55-200 Nikkor 4-5.6
105 Micro Nikkor 2.8G VR
SB-600 Speedlight
Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod
Manfrotto 3130 Pan/Tilt Head
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
Nikon D810
Nikkor 24-120 AFS F/4G ED VR

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:44 AM

Thanks, Jeff! :)

Signature_Line_V4

#8 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10347 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:51 AM

Superb image... well done, Art!

:rolleyes:

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

Thank you, Herman.

Signature_Line_V4

#10 kickstan

kickstan

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:photography, computers,

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:24 PM

Gorgeous colours on the eagle Art, nice capture!

Stan Nicholls

Nikon D300
Nikon D800/>Nikon 18-200 VR, 24-70 2.8,180 2.8, 50 1.8

Taking pictures is a craft...Photography is an art
I strive to be an artist

#11 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7061 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:34 PM

Great shot Art.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:27 AM

Thank you, Stan and Peter!

Signature_Line_V4

#13 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7048 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:49 AM

Pretty shot Art, what equipment did you use on this shot? Nice colors.

• Art likes this

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:39 PM

Thank you, Ron!

I used my:

D850

Nikkor 200-400mm 

hand held.

That is almost full frame.  

I took a trip out to the Canadian Raptor Conservancy on Wed. with a fellow photographer friend.  This place is just amazing if you love raptors.  Trying to find an Eagle in Toronto is as easy as finding a pot of gold at the bottom of a rainbow.  Not happening.

This place has some 200 birds, all hand raised.  They use them for various projects and activities.  It is amazingly well run, clean, and the birds are healthy and happy.  Also, they do rehabilitation for injury, wild birds and also release specially raised birds into the wild.  Amazing business, fully licensed.

The birds are trained to put on a show for you, they fly from point to point at various parts of the very, very large facility.  This is over their pond.  

Not as impressive as say, Jeff shooting Eagles in the wild, but I don't have this option, so this is the next best thing.  For $90 for a 3 hours session, this is a hi-lite for me. They will typically fly 4-6 raptors of various types, then they bring out birds for static photography.  During the session, they also give background information, if the birds are endangered or not, like our Barn Owl, etc.  

Signature_Line_V4

#15 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7048 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info Art. The shot speaks for itself, it's beautiful. I figured you used your 200-400 VR and the D850. I just got mine back from Nikon repair, for some reason it stopped autofocusing. Works great now. 

• Art likes this

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info Art. The shot speaks for itself, it's beautiful. I figured you used your 200-400 VR and the D850. I just got mine back from Nikon repair, for some reason it stopped autofocusing. Works great now. 

Ron,

Thanks for the kind words!

The 200-400 may as well be glued to my camera.  It is simply the best lens I have ever purchased. IQ is outstanding, I don't think I have to tell you that, and it is so versatile!  It is almost the perfect range.... maybe 500mm would have been nice, but impossible to carry.

I am very seriously thinking 500mm f5.6.  I have played with it a bit, it is light and has amazing IQ.

I was going to spring for a new 70-200mm.... this is also simply amazing glass.  Then they announced the 500mm.....so many toys, so little money! :lol:

I am sorry to hear about your repair issues.  Hopefully, they covered it under warranty.  My camera is just about a year old, I have one more year warranty... works solid.

Signature_Line_V4

#17 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7048 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

Art, I'm going out in about an hour to try to get some usable images of the Ringling Bridge, in Sarasota. They'll be B&W in a 2:1 format. I'm doing all the images (20+) for a new bank that opening in Sarasota. I'm going to use the 70-200 VR lens and maybe a 1.4 TC for the image, as well as, up to 16 stops of ND filters. I need a shot that shows both ends of the bridge and in order to get that, I have to get far enough away as to warrant the 70-200 lens. I might have to go to the 200-400 but I don't have any filters that will fit that lens, so hopefully I can get the shot that I want today. The repair was covered under warranty.

#18 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21334 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:53 PM

Glad to hear the repair was covered.

I love that lens. Are you using the E version?  I have seen results from this... the images sing.  I was going to buy the VR version but the Nikon rep suggested I look at the FL .... stunning piece of glass.

That is why I am torn between the FL and the new 500 E PF.  Both come with a hefty price tag.  

Good luck with your shoot, sounds exciting.  Look forward to seeing some of the images, if you can post them after.

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users