Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:Gundogs and fine doubles
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

After reading all the hype surrounding the D500 I have had the itch to get one since they came out. Well I finally found a nice used one that fit my budget and it came with plenty of extras.

Most of you that will respond to this know that I shoot a lot of aircraft. After several days of bad weather I was finally able to get out and give it a good workout. As part of my workflow I will adjust lighting and crop and straighten most of my photos, and did this with my first shots with the D500. My assumption was that with the smaller sensor I would fill it more efficiently and need less cropping, which was true.

Now comes the rub ...I would assume with a higher pixel count in the usable frame, compared to my D750, that I would have a bit more resolution  once all the cropping was done.

Surprise ... My good Ol D750 actually produces slightly better pictures when cropped. My assumption has been smashed. The D500 is a fantastic camera in all respects but my D750 is still very capable of holding its own.

Now I will have to wait for the D850 to step up my game.

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15347 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

What is better about the pictures? Color? Details?

The DX sensor will have smaller photosites than the FX. Which means you have to have better technique.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10351 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

I would think the D500 being more suited for aviation photography due to the advanced focusing system and speed.

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#4 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8350 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

I was on the fence for over a month and bought the D750...  not at all sorry.  I do have a D7100 for DX opportunities.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

The D500 is the envy of the industry in its class.

Signature_Line_V4

#6 Blanco

Blanco

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

Most people would never notice the difference, However, being the detail oriented obsessionist that I am, I detect a bit more grain in the D500 Pictures. The D750 pictures cropped to the same level do not show as much grain. 

Edited by Blanco, 22 August 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15347 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Are you sure you didn't under expose? Did you do a side by side test?

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#8 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4282 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

Ditto Dennis' remarks. I'd shoot them side by side with the settings you're going to use on location -- stationary subject with the same lens, same ISO, same aperture and shutter speed, and the same everything else, with the D750 in DX mode. The D750 is 10MP when shooting DX whereas the D500 is 20MP, so as Dennis said, the photosites on the D750 are larger and will likely give less noise.

But the important question is, "what is the final output going to be and how does each camera stack up in that output." If you're putting 800x550 pixel shots on a website and then selling up to 20" x 30" prints, how does each camera do with those web pics and prints? This is the answer you need to make the decision. It's amazing how the differences in cameras can nearly vanish when printing or putting shots on a website.

For instance, my D1x is pretty noisy when shot at ISO 3200, but when viewed at 800x522 pixels, the shots look great if they're well exposed. I got into a brief email conversation with Thom Hogan once and he mentioned that Sports Illustrated used to do 11x17" truck folds with ~3MP D1h bodies. So until you see the results in their final intended form, it's tough to make a decision.

Edited by justshootit, 22 August 2017 - 08:27 PM.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#9 Blanco

Blanco

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

The under exposure might be a possibility. The photos I had issue with were all shot (and this is from memory) ISO 200 F6 and I was using the shutter speed to control exposure and it was around 1/2500

Early afternoon light at my back(Very Bright Day). I use my histogram to judge my settings. I was getting a nice peak in the middle. I usually try to get the peak just right of center.

Next chance I get I will run it a bit brighter to see if I still have the issue with graininess.

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7310 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

From what I've seen, either camera body is a win.  Let us know what you choose.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#11 Blanco

Blanco

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

I guess I may be accustomed to my D750 and its operations and functions, might need some time with the D500 to become friends

#12 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

It's not enough to crop to the same field of view. You need to resize the files to file dimension equivalence. Resample the D500 file to the same size as the D750 or upsample the D750. You'll have a fair comparison then. The D500 will outperform the D750.

#13 Blanco

Blanco

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
    Military aircraft
    Woodworking

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

Ok , here are the officially un-authorized un-scientific results of an in depth side by side comparison between the 2 cameras photos scaled to the same levels on nearly identical subjects. The first thing that I noticed is that the D500 has better colors and contrast. Not by a huge margin, but enough that I can see it. The D500 is also a bit sharper overall and I think this is what I noticed. The D750 gives the image almost a creamy effect. It smooth's the image a bit. so that the pixilation is not as noticeable. If you go deep enough you see that the two images have almost the same grainstructure at the same levels.

So is my D750 doing something I'm unaware of ? Where is the dreamy effect coming from?

#14 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10351 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Presume the larger sensor of the D750.

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#15 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15347 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

So, you reduce the size of the D750 file? How?

Can we see pictures, shooting info, kind of hard to troubleshoot without some info.

Since your talking; grain and sharpness, you don't have to do any cropping, resampling and the lot. Just shoot the same test subject under the same conditions, same lens, same settings. If you're using lightroom, then just zoom in to compare. Use manual settings, so the exposure is the same.

Down sampling will give it a creamy look, A lot of folks that I know who shoot with the D8xx series noticed this when they post to the net.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#16 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

For an equivalent image, the FX file should have a shallower DOF.  The difference is about 1.3 stops.  

I've found the D500 processor tends to sharpen background or out of focus detail a bit more than I like.  I'm not sure where the difference is being created, but it is something I notice.  I prefer FX for that reason.  On the other hand, I love the frame rate, AF accuracy, and other features of the D500.  The AF accuracy is remarkable.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users