• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22370 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:27 AM

COVID be damned! I got a media pass to attend a race in Grand Bend.  About 3 hours west of Toronto. What a great 3 days away I had this past weekend.

Let me share it with you as this is the only real excitement I have had since COVID.

Day 1.... up at 5:00am and out the door at 6:00.

Arrive at the track at 9:00am.

My Media security meeting .....

"DO NOT TAKE PICTURES OF PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT SOCIAL DISTANCING!"

OK, this made me laugh. But, sure, I am game. No problem.  We are easing out of this quarantine and ... well, people have forgotten already.  I am just going to leave it at that.

Where do I go?
Over there ...

OK, so I drive there and almost end up on a hot track until the marshal jumped in front of the car screaming at me to stop.
OK, I told him I was instructed to go here!
He shook his head, mumbled something about the track idiots and told me where to park and where to go. Apparently, the "track management" does not run the races, they rent the track out so one hand doesn't always co-ordinate with the other.

I missed the "main guy" at this booth I was supposed to go to so I was told I had to wait till 1:00 pm to get on the track!
:lol: 

Riiiiiight. After driving 3 hours? Who are they kidding.

So, they quickly found someone to take me into the inside track!   :lol:  Enough said.

Met up with some great marshals, they pretty much let me go almost anywhere as long as I didn't try to kill myself by being stupid. I brought with my my 500mm and my 200-400mm so I had excellent reach and got some simply amazing images!

Got a huge interest on my photos. Sent out over 30 contact sheets and the sales have started coming in.

I shot 4 cards worth of pictures in Day 1.  Why? Because I love to hear my shutter click.  Missed it.

Insanity really, especially this week trying to sort through the images!

I meet some great people with some great dogs.  Really enjoyed the first day. Windy, cool, almost perfect weather.

Went to my lodging, a B&B in Exeter.  Wow, what a treat that was.  The room was amazingly comfortable.  Huge, 12' ceilings, an old victorian era home, renovated, very tastefully! The attention to detail by the owner is exemplary!

I had a hand written custom card presented to greet me.  A chocolate bar, surprisingly one of my favorites, on my dresser and the owner and I hit it off very well.  He is a real entrepreneur and we had a lot of stories and things in common.  We chatted mostly about how COVID has killed businesses in Exeter.

Day 2

Up early, my breakfast was out of this world ... omelette, coffee, orange juice, home made muffins, toast and homemade jam... I was stuffed!

Day at the races was like Day 1.  Full of photo taking, walked the Paddock and left business cards everywhere! Paid off in spades after the race.  Tons of new contacts.

Best event of the day?  I see this plane wobbling in the wind.  Very low and coming towards me.  Keeps coming lower, and lower, and lower and ..... fight or flight or empty your pants time!!!! ..... still coming down .... towards me.  What do I do? Run for my life?

No, I take pictures.  It LANDS ON THE TRACK!!  Yes, the RACE TRACK!!!  The race track believe it or not, is also, an AIRPORT!  Planes land in between races.  Well, now I have heard everything!!!

Drove home, went to get dinner, showered and crashed!

Day 3

The thrill of the day was seeing what was for breakfast! Lemon Cheese Cake French toast!!!  :o Oh yea, that was something! With three huge slices of pea meal bacon. I died and went to heaven. Some fancy toast, coffee, fruits .... I didn't want to leave!

Same as Day 2.  Only difference is it as a longer day and lots of checkered flags!

I pack and drive home.  Stop at the enRoute to get something to eat.... you can't go in without a mask.  Now, I don't care, fine. BACK TO THE CAR I PARKED A MILE AWAY on the other side of the building because they have NO SIGNS!!!! You have to go to the door, read 12 point type that tells you.... GO THAT WAY.  Get there and they send you back.

Go inside!!!! NO CASH!!!  I didn't care about this as I always use my phone, so who cares, but other people LEFT! Why? NO SIGNS.

Just STUPID COVID RULES almost like they do this on the fly, no pre-though! They genius of all the B S.... we all go in one door and share germs going out the same door.  The place has 3 massive entry points!

Ate in the car, gassed up and on my way!

Spent the last 3 days working on pictures people wanted.

It was so nice to be out again, I can't tell you!!

Sample of images below!

Attached File  Freebee.jpg   1.13MB   0 downloads

Attached File  HS---Mackay.jpg   1.29MB   0 downloads

Attached File  16-Steve-Kinghorn.jpg   257.16KB   0 downloads

Attached File  PANNING-SAMPLE.jpg   268.96KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Marshal-_2.jpg   568.95KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Airplane.jpg   520.64KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Marshal-_1.jpg   445.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Mustang.jpg   562.84KB   0 downloads

Attached File  HS---NIckerson.jpg   1.27MB   0 downloads

Attached File  16-Trevor-Dion.jpg   938.86KB   0 downloads

This is the DINING ROOM!!

Attached File  IMG_6979.jpg   673.94KB   0 downloads

My meal!

Attached File  IMG_7007.jpg   933.12KB   0 downloads

And, the living room...

Attached File  IMG_6978.jpg   646.93KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22370 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:39 AM

Probably, one of the better race images I have ever captured!

Attached File  David-MacKay.jpg   992.66KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7690 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:47 AM

Wow.... great shots Art.

• Art likes this

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8223 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:55 PM

Peter said it all, Art:  nice shots!  :)

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#5 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 11031 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:58 PM

Wow! Superb images and a very interesting write-up of your 3 days.
Enjoyed the read... thanks, Art.

😀
PS. I woulden't dream of landing a plane on a race track!

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22370 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:04 PM

Thanks, everyone.  Herman, there is a grass landing strip right next to the runway that is part of the track!!

So get this .... if they guy has to land .... this is a small airport for these private planes .... he can land WHILE the race is on, on the grass strip NEXT TO the track!!!

Never seen anything like it.  It has been line this for YEARS! No issues. Part of the agreement with the town is that they can land planes there!!!!   :lol:  :lol: 

I guessss!!!  :lol:

Signature_Line_V4

#7 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24214 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

Nice series Art well done!

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#8 kickstan

kickstan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:photography, computers,

Posted Yesterday, 05:57 AM

Great shots Art, uh, how did that Mustang get there??? LOL

Stan Nicholls

Nikon D300
Nikon D800/>Nikon 200-500 VR 18-200 VR, 24-70 2.8,180 2.8, 50 1.8

Taking pictures is a craft...Photography is an art
I strive to be an artist

#9 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3657 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area. I am a NPS member.

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 AM

U R spoiled! If race accommodations are always like that...

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users