• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:21 AM

The following link is a good feature/price comparo for the better name brand AA's you need for high capacity SB800/600 flash use.

NiMH Battery / Charger Packages

Also, Thomas Distributing is a fine source for these items...

Thomas Distributing
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

DSLRs Nikon D300 w/ MB-D10 | Nikon D40
DX Optics 10.5/2.8 DX Fisheye | 16-85/3.5-5.6 VR DX Nikkor
FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR
Lighting (2) Nikon SB-800 | (4) Sunpak 422/433 | (2) Lester Dine Ringlights

#2 mike_flood

mike_flood

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:35 PM

The following link is a good feature/price comparo for the better name brand AA's you need for high capacity SB800/600 flash use.

NiMH Battery / Charger Packages

Also, Thomas Distributing is a fine source for these items...

Thomas Distributing

I can recommend Thomas Distributing as well. Products are good, prices are fair, service is prompt.
What more could you ask.

Since I always used rechargeable AA's with my Fuji S1 and S2 I was concerned about a proprietary rechargeable when I bought my D2x. But I have been more than please with the number of shots I get with my batteries. When we went on our trip this spring I was reluctant to buy as spare as a CYA. I was more concerned with losing the one I had than having it fail. But I bought one spare and now try to keep them cycled/rotated in and out of the camera. I have marked the batteries #1 and #2 so I can keep 'em straight.
(found a great fine tip silver paint pen at the office supply store that shows up on black plastic)

So far I recharge the battery when it gets to about 3/4's discharged and it doesn't go into the "recondition" mode. It did do that once when I took it all the way to fully depleted.
I have heard one complaint concerning battery life in the D200 from a friend who has a new camera.

#3 Slugger Kaylene

Slugger Kaylene

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:24 AM

how do i set a darn avatar on this board? ...i'll keep on traveling as always

#4 greypoint

greypoint

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:41 AM

Ah - yes - I remember the days before I got a D50 and had to worry about battery life and carrying spares.............

Edited by greypoint, 12 July 2006 - 06:41 AM.

MY FLICKR - http://www.flickr.com/photos/greypoint/collections/
WEBSITE - http://greypointphotography.co.uk/

Nikon D300 Nikon 70-300mm vr, Nikon 70-210mm. Sigma 17-70mm

#5 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:17 AM

greypoint, where there any days before the D50?..... :huh: just kidding...glad to have the info sources... Let me see...Was there life b4 2005? B)

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#6 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3032 posts
  • Interests:Digital Photography! Graphic Design! Print Media! Displays and Exhibits! Signage! 865.310.9040

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:27 AM

This has nothing to do with AA Nimh's but since we are ranting about batteries in the D200, here goes... As a D200 owner, I am simply viewing the shorter battery life no differently than what the D2x'ers faced on its release. More camera - less battery life. The technology is well worth another $50 for each spare ( I have two...) to keep it running. Buy spares and keep on truckin'! PS: DO NOT buy ANY other brand but Nikon's EN-EL3e - there is no generic or name brand equivalents. Believe nothing you read or hear - they will work short term and then you'll need to sell them to a D70 user. They are in short supply so do a search for them in forums and find smaller retailers who don't sell to the mainstream online audience. I found mine in a camera shop in Florida - they had three left outta 30 that sold in a week's time.
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

FX Optics 14-24/2.8 Nikkor | 24-120/3.5-5.6 VR Nikkor | 70-200/2.8 VR Nikkor | 85/1.4 Rokinon | 50/1.8 AIS Nikkor | 55/2.8 1:1 Vivitar Macro | Kenko 1.4X TC
Support Bogen 3221 w/ Markins M20 & RRS B2 LR II| Bogen 681B Monopod/Gtai Ballhead | Induro C014 CF/Gtai Ballhead | Nodal Ninja 180 Pano Head
Software Adobe Lightroom | Adobe Photoshop CS | Nikon Capture NX | Photomatix HDR

#7 greypoint

greypoint

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:48 AM

Thank you - a voice in my head keeps whispering 'you want a D200 - buy one' . Every time I read something that confirms I'll need to spend on extras like batteries - fast high quality CF - makes me think I must be sensible and wait for whatever Nikon release in the way of a replacement for the D50/70 as I just don't need all the D200 features for my happy snapping.

#8 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3032 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

I'm having difficulty imagining what Nikon will add to the base config'd DSLR models in the future.I'm more sure that lower price will dominate that segment than innovation. I could be very wrong too as D-Lighting and other go-to-print features and tricks are finding their way into the P&S categories, so waiting and seeing is cheaper than buying... wish you the best.
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

#9 greypoint

greypoint

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:50 AM

I think they will need something new in between the entry level D50 and the D200, which although pitched as a 'semi-pro' model has enough for many pros to use it instead of the more costly 2DX. I agree that the main criteria at the budget end is centered around cost. At the moment when anyone asks about which camera to buy as a first DSLR it's easy to recommend the D50. At UK prices the D50 is available for around 325 - the Canon 350D a hundred or so more - the D70s about 200 more. So the D50, as it's got most things the average photographer needs, makes most sense and allows a bit more for lenses. I can't see any reason not to keep the D50 going for a very long time - with a few little upgrades.Having had their D50 for a year or so, many photographers start to get itchy credit cards - so the manufacturer needs a model temptingly sitting there with a few more mp, a slightly increased fps, a few more useful tweaks in the settings etc etc. At the moment the D70s just is'nt sufficiently better to tempt the average D50 owner who probably considered it in the first place but decided they could manage with what the D50 has to offer. The gap between the 300 ish D50 and 1150 ish D200 is probably far too wide - and most D50 owners possibly don't really want or need everything the D200 can offer. So I think what's really needed is a cut down version of the D200 priced mid way between the D50 and D200. A perfect upgrade for D50/D70 owners and a good buy for those who crave a D200 but can't quite stretch to it. Canon have the middle ground at the moment with the 30D in the UK.

#10 mule_patterson

mule_patterson

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3032 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:55 AM

I agree - the D50 is really the basis of a whole range of budget develeopment in the DSLR form factor - bringing in P&S features (D-Lighting, email/web and print shoot modes, etc.) along with their exisiting card formats would make a real Nikon tour de force in the DSLR entry field. Great budget zooms like the 18-55 DX wouldkeep any budding photog happy for a long time. The D70 should move up to a D80 and combine P&S features (D-Lighting, email/web and print shoot modes, etc.) with advanced DSLR features, better AF and metering borrowed from bigger brothers. Leave out the high tech features but keep superior controls available for future migration to the big boy cameras. What I'm most interested in is - what will the next D200 have in it? After the D200s that is...
Brian "Mule" Patterson
Knoxville, Tennessee USA
www.brianrpatterson.com

#11 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:47 AM

It is always a problem with upgrades as to how different from the previous model they need to be. People expect an upgrade to be significantly different, or what was the point changing it? However radical changes move it from the slot it was intended to fill. Take Canon's 20D for instance, it was a world beater in it's sector when introduced, but the 30D which was not a lot different and still occupied the same slot, dissapointed many Canon users because it was not the radical upgrade they expected. A Nikon D200 type of camera was what they were expecting. The trouble for manufacturers is how far can they upgrade a lower model without placing it closer to a higher one in all it's essential features so it affects sales of the more expensive one? They then have to give a major boost to their high end models to once again give them clear air between them and models lower down the scale, and sometimes the technology is not available to do this. Nikon has stated it is going to concentrate more on higher end cameras because the consumer end now has too much competition and frankly there is no real profit in it for them. They make far greater profits at the top of the market than at the cut throat bottom end. I suppose the problem then is what do they consider "lower end"? Is it the bottom end Coolpix, the Coolpix as a whole, or does it go even higher? Some may say they pitched the D200 a bit too high and it may affect their D2X sales. The D2Xs looks to be another Canon 20D-30D situation because it is not a significant upgrade at the high end for D2X users to be worth upgrading. A significant upgrade for the D2Xs would have been a 35mm full frame sensor. Where do you place the D70+ then and what features would you give it so to not affect the sales of the D200? From a manufacturers standpoint you really need your camera range set out in clearly defined sectors. The trouble is your competitors then bring out a camera that is a higher specification than yours and nearer to the next one up in your range, to which you then have to respond by going one better so loosing the sensible divisions of your camera range. Eventually both manufacturers then need to bring out a new camera without these extra "bells and whistles" to put it back into the original slot. Maybe a "detuned" D200 will be the next D70, but Nikon will have to watch it does not then steal the D200's market as it may be forced to go further upmarket with any replacement than it wants as Canon will no doubt now have a competitor for the D200 on the stocks which is cheaper than the Nikon. The Canon and Nikon ranges are never really identical, which complicates matters. Canon's cameras often seem to slot into the gaps half way between Nikon models, so blurring direct comparisons. I suppose one could say that with the 35mm full frame sensor (although this has problems), the Canon's professional camera outspecifies the Nikon at the moment. Nikon will eventually have to reply with a full frame sensor or loose their share of the professional market. There are rumours Nikon is working on a curved full frame sensor to overcome the vignetting problems Canon has faced in using present film lenses on full frame digital. As Canon's excellent 30D went down like a "lead balloon" with Canon fans who were expecting a mega upgrade to something like the Nikon D200, you can expect something big from Canon soon to reclaim market share. How this will then affect Nikons model range is open to conjecture. What is certain is that after a time the big manufacturers will have to start again and rationalise their ranges to bring out new models that occupy the market sector their original cameras did. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users