• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19271 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

Photog Peeps....any advantages ($$$$) to adding the use and certification of drones to my photo skills? Hit me up.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#2 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

Maybe, if you pursue Real Estate photography. I have seen a lot of it done to show off properties for sale.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:19 PM

You'll need to acquire not only an FFA registration but you also need certification of you're flying for money.
Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#4 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19271 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

Art - have a friend that does real estate photog and is usng a drone.

480sparky - thanks, I have read up on the current rules about certification and use.

I have a friend that works for the FAA and he looking at the rules as well.

** The reason that I sked the drone question, next June I have a two day bike event photo-shoot and the hosting crew wants some drone coverage as well. I talked to several certified drone guys and they are asking $500-1000 for the shoot.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:58 AM

PJ, as this is all new, there is most likely money to be made in the beginning.

Over time, drones get cheaper, easier for the amateurs to purchase and get into the game and devalue the service.  Strike while the iron is still hot if you are into this.  I am sure, Canada is much different than the USA in terms of regulations so you cannot compare.

The Real Estate drone work I have seen does a nice pass of the property, front and back and high up, mixed in with good photography.  It can really make a listing sing!

I am sure it is also popular for events.

My local Mustang Club had a guy their with a drone and he took some really fun footage.  All events are excellent opportunities for potential business.  Research the laws first, then see if you can make at the very least, a return on the investment in a good drone.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#6 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3176 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:17 AM

I am thinking parade coverage would be a good use of drone...

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#7 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:44 AM

The unique perspective of a drone, the limited competition, and the licensing restrictions make drone photography a good opportunity.  Certainly for real estate, events, hospitality, and economic development the perspective of a drone adds a lot of value.  I could also see some value for sports - for the perspective images.

Sure there will be future competition, but the licensing requirements will reduce any commercial threat for quite a while.  

Right now the big advantage is the new perspective is a bit of a novelty.  It's very much like a fisheye or blimp shot.  The challenge will be developing artistic images that are good images rather than a novelty.  I think that's where the photographer potentially has an advantage over just a person with a drone.

I personally don't have much interest in drones.  But for those that are interested, it's certainly a good opportunity.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#8 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

PJ, as this is all new, there is most likely money to be made in the beginning.

Over time, drones get cheaper, easier for the amateurs to purchase and get into the game and devalue the service.  Strike while the iron is still hot if you are into this.  I am sure, Canada is much different than the USA in terms of regulations so you cannot compare.

The Real Estate drone work I have seen does a nice pass of the property, front and back and high up, mixed in with good photography.  It can really make a listing sing!

I am sure it is also popular for events.

My local Mustang Club had a guy their with a drone and he took some really fun footage.  All events are excellent opportunities for potential business.  Research the laws first, then see if you can make at the very least, a return on the investment in a good drone.

The problem will be, like any other 'regulated' venture, is there will be those who don't follow the rules.  Lacking the proper training and licensing costs, they will drive the legitimate operators into bankruptcy.  And they're like drug dealers..... you take one out, and there's 20 more ready to take their place.

I am thinking parade coverage would be a good use of drone...

Over people............... you might want to check the legality of this.  This statement alone demonstrates part of the issue mentioned above.  What appears to be a 'good idea' may well land you a stay at the GrayBar Motel, famous for the striped sunshine coming through it's windows.  Or, loss of licensing and a big hit in the wallet department.

I don't want to appear all gloom and doom, but these are the facts.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#9 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Good point on flying a drone over people.  I was recently at an event with people on horses.  A drone was flown over the riders at too low an altitude stirring up the horses and causing a rider to be thrown.  There was no injury to the rider or any of the horses, but you could see the potential for a big liability.  Flying over people is heavily regulated.  People have been hit by crashing drones and in the event of serious injury, there is a major liability. 

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#10 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

Photog Peeps....any advantages ($$$$) to adding the use and certification of drones to my photo skills? Hit me up.

You wont be able to fly is on people at a sporting event more than likely. They don't want the liability of a drone crashing and smacking people on the ground. Not to mention the possible distraction to players on a field. I have a buddy that uses one to do work for vacation resorts, spas, retreats.

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

Nikon D3 bodies X 2 (two) and One (1) D3s fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Minolta 9000s with motor drives (part of my old film-based gear)
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users