• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19271 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

Prices are on their way down, down and did I say down?

Just some wisdom is requested from my PN Family. Been using 16 GB cards with my D605 and now 6Mos D7000, and as I am starting to shoot more video now, just wondering what size cards do you photog folks recomemd. As I always say..I can research it but ...NOPE, NADA, NEVER..I get my smarts from my PN family.

Yeah I Said It!! :D

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#2 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22432 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:33 AM

I use 16 and 32 Jazz mostly due to costs. If I shot a lot of video I might add a 64 but my D605 and now Oly EM-5 have never run out of space with a 32 and I've shot weddings with 500 plus full res RAW files.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:43 AM

16g is standard in my D600s, but my D7100 gets 64g since I do a lot more CH shooting with it.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#4 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5259 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

I bought a SanDisk UHS II 16GB card to go with the Fuji which was fairly expensive but blisteringly fast - weird looking thing but the X-T1 is compatible so worth the cost for the buffer clear times. I get a little over 400 shots on it which is fine day to day but I'm thinking of a 32GB as a replacement and that was what I've been using in the Pentax. In the D300s I used two 16GB cards in sequence.

If you're going to shoot video bigger is definitely better as the file sizes are gigantic.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#5 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9755 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:32 AM

What folks should also take into account is that SD-cards up to 32mb are categorised as SDHC whilst above that they are SDXC.

Whilst the latter should not be an issue with the newer cameras, it can be an issue subject to the additional peripherals being used.

For example...On the road, I use an Acer Aspire One 721 notebook which had been upgraded with an SSD and 8GB memory.

It has an on-board SD-slot which is very convenient. However, it is not SDXC compatible meaning that unless I want to use a cable

to transfer images (USB2), I am restricted to using using SD-cards with a maximum capacity of 32mb (SDHC).

Just thought, I'd mention it.

:)  

• Art likes this

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#6 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5259 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:04 AM

And in a addition to Herman's excellent advice - the latest UHS II cards look very appealing but very few cameras can take advantage of their added performance. They are backwards compatible but will only operate at the speed of the interface so don't be tempted by the advertising unless your camera can take them.

sandisk-extreme-pro-280mbs-32gb-uhs-ii-b

Instagram

#7 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19271 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:38 PM

Doing some reading on the D605 and 6Mos D7000.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

PJ,

I use San Disc or Lexar, mostly 32 mb.... currently started buying 64 mb.  I like the 64mb  because you can put a badgillion pictures on them (so it seems).  I have yet to fill one on an all day shoot.  That is the up side.

Down side, if you have a bad one and it fails... you lose the badgillion pictures you have taken on it.  I have yet to have any issue with any memory card I have purchased.

Prices are really excellent right now on this stuff.  Something NEW must be on the horizon.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#9 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6445 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:30 PM

64gb SD(Sandisk extreme-pro) in my 810 and 32gb CF(Sandisk extreme-pro) in the CF slot... video records on the SD as do Nef (Jpg to CF).... I don't 'do' much video but I have never come close to filling the cards.... I use the USB3 port on the 810 for downloading if I am at home...(portable media recorder 'HyperDrive Colourspace UDMA3' when travelling) I have a Lexar USB3 card reader tethered to my PC for the other non USB3 cameras.   the Df has a 32gb Extreme-pro...D3..8gb & 16gb extreme-pro's. For regular video recording Jazz bigger is better for sure and the fastest your computer can handle :) ... Extreme-pro's are SDXC and the 810 can handle them..

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6066 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

The 810 has both SD and CF card slots.  I've found that 16gb for both meets my needs because overflow from one card automatically goes to the other.  I agree with everyone's comments about more size for videos.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#11 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19271 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

Wheat...MacBook is fast...Der 605 maybe not so but fun to use.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#12 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6624 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

I suppose that what you're photographing enters into the mix too. Back when I was doing strictly wildlife photography, I'd sometimes take 300 or 400 shots in a single session, now with the long exposure stuff, I seldom take more than 20 or 30 exposures.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#13 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2743 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 25 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

I have a bunch of 32 gig cards and usually carry a few on hikes. On one 2 week vacation I filled 6 of them just shooting jpg files. I shoot a lot of brackets so the numbers go up quickly. I hate not having enough space to shoot what I want to shoot. I have filled a card on a hike before the hike was over. I'd rather have 32gb too much card than 1 gb to little card. 

D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#14 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3176 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

That's a lot of editing Arlon. Brackets do add up.

Prices are down for sure, go big. You sure don't want to run out of room shooting video.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#15 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2743 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

Considering the amount of money I have invested in Cameras, lenses, computers, software, printers, paper, etc.. I'm not about to miss pics because I didn't want to spend $50 for a spare card or two. Same for backup batteries... 

Edited by Arlon, 31 December 2015 - 02:41 PM.

D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#16 Bern

Bern

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:37 PM

Hi, speaking of cards I just bought 2 SanDisk 64 gb 280 MB/s read write speed. I shoot some sports. So far so good.

#17 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

I've been getting 32GB ones myself. 16GB is a good size too. I don't like to go bigger than 32GB because I feel like I'm putting all my eggs in one basket with a big card. My camera has two slots so I always write to both of them on an important shoot. I've never managed to fill two 32GB cards on a shoot, far from it. Maybe if I shot a lot of video I would need a bigger card but on my Nikon I just do short clips. I do have a 64GB card in my GoPro. 

If you are using SD cards the new faster cards use UHS-II but very few cameras can take advantage of the UHS-II spec. The new D5 and D500 can but I don't think any of the currently released line up of Nikon DSLRs do (I might be wrong, correct me if I am). 

So although there are faster SD cards it is only worth spending your money on UHS-I cards (unless you can find UHS-II cheaper - which at the time of writing this is unlikely). 

So if you want a pro SD card your limit is something like the Lexar 633x UHS-I card with 95MB/s speed. Sure you can buy a Sandisk Extreme Pro with a 250MB/s speed and it will work in your camera but you won't get the advertised speeds; so unless you can get it cheaper than a slower card you're wasting money. However with a USB 3 card reader and USB 3 port on your computer you should be able to upload your photos to your PC a bit faster with the UHS-II card than the UHS-I card. 

Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#18 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5259 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:17 AM

Hi, speaking of cards I just bought 2 SanDisk 64 gb 280 MB/s read write speed. I shoot some sports. So far so good.

They sound like the UHS-II cards - which camera do you have because I'm not aware of a current Nikon that is compatible?

Instagram

#19 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:33 PM

The SanDisk 280 MB/s cards are UHS-II cards.  They are very camera specific as to how cameras will use them.  They are very slow on the D810, D800, D750, and D7200 as well as all earlier cameras.  They only have a write speed of 35-40 MB/s on the D810, D800, D750, and D7200 while UHS-I cards like the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s card have a write speed of near 70 MB/s.

If you get a UHS-II card, be sure to get a new UHS-II reader.  Again - the speeds are much slower than UHS-I cards on an older UHS-I reader.

The D500 is the first Nikon camera to use UHS-II, although there is some level of compatibility since the cards can be used in UHS-I mode.    UHS-II should produce much faster speeds in the new camera - 150 MB/s or more.  That's more than twice the speed of the best UHS-I cards.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#20 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5259 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:11 AM

The SanDisk 280 MB/s cards are UHS-II cards.  They are very camera specific as to how cameras will use them.  They are very slow on the D810, D800, D750, and D7200 as well as all earlier cameras.  They only have a write speed of 35-40 MB/s on the D810, D800, D750, and D7200 while UHS-I cards like the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s card have a write speed of near 70 MB/s.

If you get a UHS-II card, be sure to get a new UHS-II reader.  Again - the speeds are much slower than UHS-I cards on an older UHS-I reader.

The D500 is the first Nikon camera to use UHS-II, although there is some level of compatibility since the cards can be used in UHS-I mode.    UHS-II should produce much faster speeds in the new camera - 150 MB/s or more.  That's more than twice the speed of the best UHS-I cards.

I have the SanDisk 280MB/s UHS-II card you mention - my X-T1 is one of the only cameras that are compatible, I have tested it and it does make a very noticeable different so the extra money was (I feel) well spent.

What I haven't noticed is a drop in download speeds?

The card reader I use is the one built into my (mid 2010) iMac so its not UHS-II and I can't honestly say its any slower to empty the UHS-II card than it is one of my fast UHS-I cards.

I would love to read further into this so can you post a link to your information please?

Instagram

#21 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:15 AM

The best source I'm using for details in one place is this site:

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/

They provide test results for cameras, CF and SD cards, and readers.  But it is a relatively small site and lacks results for many cameras and cards.  I tested my own cards in my D800E and got results that were similar to the posted results, so it is relatively easy to test your own cards, reader and camera.

The website listed does not have test results for the XT-1.  They do have results for the XT-10, and for that camera the write speed is essentially the same over a wide range of UHS-II and fast UHS-I cards.  As you point out, the XT-I does have the UHS-II interface.  That suggests at worst equal or faster write speed in that camera, and potential for much faster download speeds with a UHS-II reader.  With a UHS-I reader, your speeds will depend on how the card and card reader translate UHS-II to UHS-I.  There is a good bit of variety across readers, and some are better than others with specific cards.  There may be driver updates to improve performance of your Mac's SD card reader.  The related issue is some SD readers actually use the USB card and would be limited to USB speeds - USB 2.0 being much slower than USB 3.0.

This whole discussion involves a series of components, and the slowest component is the one that determines speed.  The Lexar 2000X UHS-II card is a very fast card, but you may not be able to use that capability.  There are some cameras where the UHS-II cards are much slower than UHS-I cards - and the same goes for readers.

Right now we are in a period of transition - card, camera, reader, and computer.  I have not been able to confirm any computer that has UHS-II support.  Most just don't list that level of detail in their specifications.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

#22 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:24 AM

Just a note on the new Fuji X Pro2.  This new camera will be using UHS-II in the first card slot, and UHS-I in the second slot.  This adds to the confusion since while both cards are SD - they are different formats and performance will differ.  You can use UHS-II cards in both slots, but won't get a performance gain in the second slot above cheaper alternatives.  This might mean you would exchange cards after the first card is full so you could keep using the UHS-II slot.  If you use a UHS-I card in the first slot, performance will suffer but we don't know exactly how much.  

Edited by ericbowles, 20 January 2016 - 09:35 AM.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

#23 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5259 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

The X-Pro 2 having different SD slots is a bit of a weird decision and a shame as the performance different his massive. No idea why Fuji did that.

A full (22 raw files) buffer on the X-T1 takes 20-30 seconds to write using UHS-I cards and only about 9 seconds with a UHS-II. Thats a huge difference and the reason I paid the extra. The other advantage is when the buffer fills and you're using a UHS-I card the frame rate drops to 1.5fps where with the faster UHS-II card you get 3fps. Lift off for only a second or two and it'll give you a blast at its native 8fps again.

Instagram

#24 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the update.  Very good information.  How big are the 22 RAW files you used to test?  Trying to translate into MB/s actual vs. benchmark speed.

Any perspective on the download speeds of  UHS-I vs. UHS-II?  And the difference from using UHS-II in a UHS-I reader?  I expect the UHS-II is VERY fast, but with a UHS-I reader the speed drops significantly.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

#25 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5259 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

The Fuji RAF files are 32MB....which is quite large for a 16mp camera but they're uncompressed raw with no options to reduce them.

Haven't had a chance to test the download speeds yet though my iMac is knocking on a bit and that will likely be the bottleneck - I'll get back when I have though.

Instagram

#26 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5259 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:20 AM

Had a fiddle

Sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro 280MB/s UHS-II card:

22 RAF files - write time 9 seconds

Read time using card reader built into the iMac - 727 MB - 35 seconds

Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro 95MB/s UHS-I card:

22 RAF files - write time 21 seconds

Read time using card reader built into the iMac - 727 MB - 33 seconds

The slower UHS-I card does seem fractionally quicker to download assuming my fingers on my stopwatch app were lively enough. The write times are very different but remember the X-T1 is UHS-II compatible so can take advantage of the newer card.

Edited by Black Pearl, 21 January 2016 - 11:21 AM.

Instagram

#27 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22432 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

Excellent info really interesting read all, thanks for posting.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#28 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

That's great information and consistent with my expectation.  The UHS-II download to your computer is pretty good considering the computer likely has a UHS-I interface.  

The difference from using a UHS-II card is quite significant - especially if you are going through a series of bursts.  Sounds like a write speed for UHS-II of 80 MB/s and for UHS-I of 35 MB/s.  Read speed and download is surprisingly slow at 20 MB/s.  Perhaps that is a LR issue rather than related to a straight copy?  I would have expected 80 MB/s or faster for read speed.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

#29 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5259 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:36 PM

The download times were a straight drag and drop from the card to a folder on the desktop - the reader in my iMac isn't particularly fast. 

I do have a SanDisk Extreme USB 2 reader somewhere which is faster but its another thing lying around my desk and another wire, both of which annoy me, so I make do with the slower built in card slot.

Instagram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users