• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

The D70s and Tamron 28-75 2.8 arrived both today. The D70s was not what I expected. The camera did not come with a battery like the description said. Fortunately the D300 batteries work in it. I emailed Roberts Camera about it. If they will do a partial refund or send the battery I'll do it. But if they want me to send it back for a refund I'll just keep it and use the D300 batteries. I don't want to wait another 2 or 3 weeks to start using it. And it has a funky focus screen with a bunch of lines. Also the focus screen has the edges grayed out like it's for someone trying to compose for an 8X10 or something. And the hi speed flash sync only works with non Nikon flashes. Unlike the D40, the camera recognizes older non iTTL speedlites and will not allow you to select a shutter speed faster then 1/500. So I have to use my Pentax or Sunpak flash with it. That's the bad thing about buying something used online. You never know what you're going to get...until you get it :)

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15293 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:43 PM

Congrats

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21239 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:20 AM

Congratulations, Bill.

Did you get a manual. You may be able to turn off some of those features. Worth a look. You can probably download a manual if you didn't get one.
Signature_Line_V4

#4 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:07 AM

Congratulations, Bill.

Did you get a manual. You may be able to turn off some of those features. Worth a look. You can probably download a manual if you didn't get one.

Hi Art. I downloaded the manual last week. You can't control the hi speed flash sync at all. It's a hidden feature, a hack, whatever you want to call it. And there's no way to turn off the lines on the focus screen. It looks like someone installed a different screen(see photo). However, I did find a work around for flash sync with a Nikon flash. Just tape over all the contacts except the center one and you can select any shutter speed up to 1/8000. But it makes the flash difficult to install and remove.

Attached Files

Bill

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23589 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:34 AM

Yes the D70s had interchangeable screens you can get a new one for around $23 on eBay.

Get an old film Nikon non iTTL flash yo can use it like you want to.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:20 AM

Yes the D70s had interchangeable screens you can get a new one for around $23 on eBay.

Get an old film Nikon non iTTL flash yo can use it like you want to.

Jim

That won't work. I tried the SB-80DX, SB-24, and SB-20 and the camera recognizes them. In fact, I don't even own an iTTL flash.

Bill

#7 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:34 AM

This works better. Taping the shoe instead of the flash's foot allows me to get the flash on and off much easier. It's not as much of a tight fit.

Attached Files

Bill

#8 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1187 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

Having owned and still occasionally use a D70s I can say that focusing screen is definitely not original. That camera was used for some very specific purpose.

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21239 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:42 AM

1/8000s is pretty cool, Bill.

You should be able to have some fun with that!

If the screen bothers you enough, takes James' advice, get a screen you like.  They are cheap enough to get.

Signature_Line_V4

#10 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:42 AM

Having owned and still occasionally use a D70s I can say that focusing screen is definitely not original. That camera was used for some very specific purpose.

Yes I knew it wasn't the original screen when I first saw it.

Bill

#11 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:45 AM

1/8000s is pretty cool, Bill.

You should be able to have some fun with that!

If the screen bothers you enough, takes James' advice, get a screen you like.  They are cheap enough to get.

I think I can get used to the screen that's in it even though I don't like it. Now that I'm getting older(and lazier), I'm liking the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule more and more.

Bill

#12 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:01 AM

Send it back.

#13 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:12 AM

Send it back.

I don't want to send the D70s back. I can live with the focus screen that's in it.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users