6 replies to this topic

#1 aviador

aviador

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

I just bought one and I have a thousand questions.
For example, when I select S mode and turn the secondary dial,in the vewfinder I only see variation in the over- or under-exposure indicator , not the aperture value that I´m looking for.
Similarly, when in A mode, there are no changes in the speed value turning the primary dial selector
I can see that changes only in the info screen
Neither the letters P  S or A appear in the control panel  .

On the other hand, in M mode, I can change the aperture value to the minimum lens aperture (18-55 3,5- 5,6) only when in 18mm, if I move the zoom to 55, I just I can vary the F value to 5.6 .If I want less depth of field and blur the background how I can do it ?
In other words I can not choose a value of f4 or F3.5
I'm thinking there is  malfunction or what am I doing wrong?

(sorry for my bad English) and thanks Google translator

Edited by aviador, 01 April 2015 - 07:04 AM.

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22574 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

Don't worry about your english were a international group here. When I get home from work I will look at my D600 to see if its the same.

As far as the lens apertures the  18-55 at 55mm can only be stopped down to f5.6 that is the max aperture it is called a variable aperture lens meaning that the max or wide aperture changes from 18 to 55. It starts at f3.5 at 18mm and moves to f5.6 at 55mm, and remember the larger the number ie f22 the smaller the opening and less light is let in but you get greater depth of field the smaller the number the larger the opening and more light is let in but shallower depth of field.  

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5295 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:49 AM

All camera are pretty much the same.

S Mode = Shutter Priority:

That means you select the Shutter Speed and the camera controls the Aperture....so no....you don't get to change it.

A Mode = Aperture Priority:

That means you select the Aperture and the camera controls the Shutter Speed....so no....you don't get to change it.

M Mode = Manual:

That means you get to select both. You can select any combination you chose....but you will only get the correct exposure if you pay attention to either the camera meter or a hand held meter.....you can't just pick any of them at random.

As to the maximum aperture - if you look on your lens it will tell you exactly what you have available and therefor you can't go beyond it.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#4 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1697 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:57 AM

Here is a site with some settings to try for the Nikon D7100

https://photographyl...-d7100-settings

Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#5 ANovice

ANovice

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, golf & travel.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:55 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have a question about the D7100; need help.  Since this is a new camera and format to me (D7100/digital) and have a lot to learn.  Had the opportunity recently to take pictures of my grand kids and just prior to that had set the camera up to use 'back-button' focus.  A number of the shots were not real sharp and wondered if I was using this 'back-button' incorrectly.  Are there other settings that would also effect the photos sharpness or could I be using this technique incorrectly.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

ANovice

#6 aviador

aviador

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

As a first step, and just to be sure, autofocus lens is ON?
Using the trigger, the pictures keep the same problem?.
Note that the AE-L / AF-L button has several functions, menu settings -> Controls -> f 4 Assign button AE-L / AF-L
(manual pages 76,84,256 ,260)

#7 ANovice

ANovice

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, golf & travel.

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Rechecked to be sure autofocus is ON, yes.  And I did reset the AE-L/AF-L button to initiate autofocus.  Since I'm not using a tripod nor did I hold down the AE-L/AF-L button until I pressed the shutter release, thought there may have been some movement while composing the pictures.  Also was using a large f stop (5.6).  Figured all that must have contributed to the soft focus.  Need to work on my technique more I think.

Thanks for the response and help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users