- - - - -

Spring Has Sprung...Where's my Bowflex?

Posted by DigitalDarrell, 30 March 2006 · 1368 views

Yesterday, it was 66 degrees here in Tennessee, USA. Today, it is going to pass 70 degrees. The Bradford Pears have come and gone, and the Redbuds will be out next. I'm seeing a lot of new green buds on the trees. It has happened again...Spring has sprung!

There is something in the air that makes me want to come out of my house cave and get rid of this winter layer of fat. A couple of days ago, I had an overwhelming urge to wipe the dust off the old Bowflex exercise machine and start pumping power rods. As I sit here typing, I can feel just a touch of soreness from bench pressing 100 pounds of nice graphite this morning.

I need the extra muscle to hike all over the Smoky Mountains this year while carrying about 50 pounds of Nikon camera equipment. About a year ago, The Mule Patterson and I took a nice hike up the 6000+ foot Mt. Collins to Clingman's Dome, the highest spot in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I was carrying all my camera equipment, and a full-size Bogen aluminum tripod. Needless to say, I was almost dead by the time I reached the top. The Mule, being in much better shape physically, simply bounded up the steep slopes, while laughing mercilessly at poor old Digital Darrell and his cool Nikon stuff. Of course, Mr. Mule only had his Nikon D70 and a lens at the time. Does he know something I don't?

Well, when I finally crawled back down the mountain that day, I imposed on a credit card for a nice loan to get the biggest baddest Bowflex that could be bought. I was intending to be able to bound up the mountains like The Mule...this year. My wife and I dutifully worked out on the bowflex for a long long time, at least two weeks, before we could take it no more. I lost ten pounds, felt great, and decided that I didn't need any more of those power rod noises and daily sweating. Now, a year later, I am back where I started. The year-old-Bowflex is happily accepting my attention...yet again. I am determined THIS TIME to stay with it. I want to be able to leap up like a stag on the mountains this year. Charlie's Bunion in the Smokies is an 8-mile round trip hike, but I've got to get some shots there this year.

I've figured out the perfect exercise program for recalcitrant exercisers of the photography bent. Buy a new lens! That's all the motivation you'll need to get back into shape. You'll know that the new lens must be carried to exotic places, and will require more musculature than before. The camera bag will be just a bit heavier, and your attitude just a bit better. So, you'll be able to convince yourself to exercise more frequently, and shoot even more great images. Remember, DD's advice..."Just buy a new lens!" Repeat it several times per day, and watch the weight drop off. I got a new Sigma 10-20mm for those wide-angle wildflower shots this year. Pure motivation in metal and glass!

As I look out the window, I notice that the sun is beckoning me with the promise of a nice tan, and some Vitamin D for my activity starved body. Like an old grizzly bear, I am rising up, stretching (bowflex), and preparing to bring in the world's best images...this year!

What about you...slightly pudgy one, with no new lens?

Keep on capturing time...
Digital Darrell
www.DigitalDarrell.com

Will a BOWFLEX workout get me a new bigger & meaner camera AND a lens too Ol' pudgy friend? rolleyes.gif I'd need a few workout's just to carry your gear to the car. Let alone lug it up a mountain. blink.gif

My Picture

August 2019

S M T W T F S
18 192021222324

Recent Comments